Question from E-Bay customer about helmets.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Tree Freak
Reaction score
A good e-bay customer of mine is interested in a good safety Hardhat/helmet, and is wondering what is a good one to get. Stihl/Husqvarna
or aftermarket. Wants to know what ones to steer clear of.

I invited him here to check out the forum, and any response is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last crew I ran all wore MSA Skullguards, not cheap but beats the alternative

There are two completely different types of products here. The WW1 type doughboy styled helmets, then the more modern full helmet with face shield and integral muffs.

Not sure if they're all the same on youvr side of the world but I've found the husky helmets to have the best earmuffs and face shield. Peltor also makes a good helmet, the muffs are a slightly stronger design, but not quite as quiet as the husky ones

I'm just a newbie, but so far I'm happy with my Husky brain bucket. The muffs are quiet, too.

Nick

I have the Jonsered set-up that I picked up at my saw shop a while back. Its nice but it was pricey. That being said, a standard MSA hardhat can be fitted with all sorts of attachments. You can get them at yardsales for $1. I'm sure if you googled them you could set them up any way you like.

i've not yet bought one, but the Premium Rockman is high on my list. i also like Peltor, Stihl, and i'm sure the Husky helmets are on par with these as well.

I have one from Baileys. Full face screen, Peltor muffs, 6 pt harness, and very comfortable.

Not sure what model it is, but it has "XLR8" stamped on the bottom of the front bill.

Oh yeah, it comes with a rain/chip cover for the back of your neck, but I've never used it.

I have the Jonsered set-up that I picked up at my saw shop a while back. Its nice but it was pricey. That being said, a standard MSA hardhat can be fitted with all sorts of attachments. You can get them at yardsales for $1. I'm sure if you googled them you could set them up any way you like.

As I recall hard hats have a date stamped into the helmet when it was molded and they are supposed to be replaced after 3 years. That's not to say that at 3 years and one day they won't protect you, but it is to say that how they are stored, what chemicals they are exposed to and sunlight will degrade them.

Even with health insurance, a typical doctors visit cost you more than a new hard hat. Something to consider when evaluationg safety equipment and how much it cost vs. how much it is worth.

Dont go out into the woods today,,,today is the day the teddy bears have thir picknic !!
Fish if you dont know what to tell the guy ,,take a break,regroup and start over old boy..
you have NEVER been lacking in OPE opinion before !

Dont go out into the woods today,,,today is the day the teddy bears have thir picknic !!
Fish if you dont know what to tell the guy ,,take a break,regroup and start over old boy..
you have NEVER been lacking in OPE opinion before !

No, I fix the stuff, sell the parts.

Know full well to ask the guys that use the helmets. I do not give responses, unless I think I am right.

To be even more candid, my melon is so big, that I have never had a helmet that would fit.

So I ask the guys here that use them, and invite a chainsaw customer here to read and maybe join.....

i use the husky and stihl helmets. the husky has better ear muffs but i like the quick adjuster knob on the stihl head band. i wish i could get a quick adjust in the husky.

I've got the Husqvarna, I did replace one face screen. The screen is plastic and not real durable but no problem finding a replacement.

It has done okay for homeowner use.

I have the fancy Stihl one, but the muffs aren't tight enough and let too much noise in -- at least on my head...

I tried adjusting it, but no luck. Note that the muffs work fine if you push in on them just a bit, so I think it's just a pressure issue.

Last edited:
i use the husky and stihl helmets. the husky has better ear muffs but i like the quick adjuster knob on the stihl head band. i wish i could get a quick adjust in the husky.

Husky has a ratchet helmet, just turn the knob :msp_wink:
$10 more than the standard pro helmet.

You can even upgrade the Husky helmets to include FM radio in the hearing protection - for a price :)

Last edited:
I like the Stihl hemet and sell a bunch of them every year.

Latest posts

Back