question on 026Pro carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
I recently bought an 026Pro from a fellow ArboristSite member. It's everything he said it was, and I'm happy with the purchase. However, I have a minor problem. The saw was manufactured in Canada, and the main jet is sized for higher elevations. I'm less than 200' above sea level, and it runs too lean here. I asked my local dealer, and they said that the carb was not adjustable and I would need to buy a new carb. If I do that, I'll have spent more money than if I had just bought a new saw from him. Any ideas on the carb? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new carb?

Anyone need a brand new Canadian carb for an 026Pro? It's the new 'intellicarb' design. Perhaps I can offset the cost of replacement?:confused:

get a used carb off an older 026. put a kit in it. put the metering ,intella, cover on it from the carb you have. open up the muffler a little and it will run great.
later

My parts book shows 3 different jets available
1130 121 5600 0.54 USA
1121 121 5602 0.52 High altitude
1129 121 5600 0.50 USA
Your dealer is right ,the carb is not adjustable on the high side but you can change jets. Might try another dealer?

Thanks Jake.
If the 0.52 is for high altitude, which is for low altitude? 0.50 or 0.54?
Any directions on changing the jet? Looks like a press cap over the jet where a screw head is supposed to be! How is this removed without buggering up the carb? How is it re-sealed afterwards?
As you can tell, I'm not much on EPA carbs.... I replaced the carb on my cs-3400 with an older version rather than mess with the restricted access jets on the newer type. But I'd like to make this saw right.

Remove the metering side of the carb. you will see a jet with a slot in it. Swap out the jet for the next bigger one.
Common problem on emissions saws. Stihl tells us to check them before they go out the door. Any good dealer keeps a stock of jets or the right size number drills. (oops I did not say that.)
It needs to sound like any saw ever did on the hi side, only SLIGHTLY leaner that before.
While you are in there, check the metering lever height. Even with the chamber floor. Also remove the pump cover, other side of carb. Check the screen for any debris and clean it out,preferably, replace it and any stretched or hardened diaphragms. Reassemble and put back on saw. Start adjust ment at 1 and 1/4 turns out. Warm it up, and adjust for a smooth idle. Now turn the idle speed screw out until it stalls. IF IT DOES NOT, you may have an air leak. GET IT FIXED! Piston and cylinder failure WILL result.
If it does stall, turn idle speed screw back in for a idle speed just below the chain moving. Run it!
These carbs perform fine when adjusted correctly. Actually better in the long run as the jets stay put. Enjoy!

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I printed out this thread (thanks for the upgrade, Darin and Luc-Pierre!) and will visit a couple dealers tomorrow with parts numbers and info in hand. I have at least 4 dealers within 8 miles so I'm sure someone will have the parts in stock.
I guess my favorite dealer was kinda pissed that he gave me such a good price on a new one and I bought elsewhere anyway.

026 carb problem

I had something similar happen. On my Shindaiwa 488, the saw would not rev past 12,500 RPM. I saw an older 488 run and it screamed compared to mine. I simply got a pre EPA carb for it. It will do 13,500 RPM easily. I know that 1,000 RPM doesn't sound like much but when you are a performance nut like I am and all your other saws run at or around 13,5000 RPM you notice it. Also the specs. on the 488 call for 13,500 RPM. At 12,500 RPM the plug was the right color slightly rich. I really like it.

carburetors

Looks like we are at the same place I was at in mid 70's with cars and emission controls. Get rid of them and everything will be better.
It wasn't true then and it isn't true now. Yes, some saws come from the factory too lean. A good tech will know how to fix it. And some come too rich. Same applies.
It is here, and we must live with it. We all think it is a pain in the butt. Is cleaner air worth it? Is to me. Let's try to fix 'em right.

Originally posted by treeclimber165
Thanks Jake.
If the 0.52 is for high altitude, which is for low altitude? 0.50 or 0.54?
Any directions on changing the jet? Looks like a press cap over the jet where a screw head is supposed to be! How is this removed without buggering up the carb? How is it re-sealed afterwards?
As you can tell, I'm not much on EPA carbs.... I replaced the carb on my cs-3400 with an older version rather than mess with the restricted access jets on the newer type. But I'd like to make this saw right.

Press cap? Welch plug?

Back