Question on Flywheel for inertia log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxB52

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a question about Flywheels for a Super Splitter, or Grippo, or any inertia Flywheel type of Log Splitter? I found two different size Flywheels. One set is 18" in diameter and about 70 lbs. The other set is 28" in diameter and about 70 lbs. Which would be better to use on the Inertia Splitter? About what kind of rpm would they turn the pinion gear? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

I'd go for the larger wheel and adjust your pulley on the motor accordingly, the larger the wheel is going to give you more mechanical advantage I do believe

Flywheel

Max ~ SuperSplit comes with a pair of 18", 70# flywheels. You're off to a fine start. I believe they are designed to turn at about 300 RPM. Although you can use the larger diameter flywheels I suspect it would require a longer ram.

Hello everyone. I have a question about Flywheels for a Super Splitter, or Grippo, or any inertia Flywheel type of Log Splitter? I found two different size Flywheels. One set is 18" in diameter and about 70 lbs. The other set is 28" in diameter and about 70 lbs. Which would be better to use on the Inertia Splitter? About what kind of rpm would they turn the pinion gear? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

The diameter and the weight is not the whole story about a fly wheel inertia setup. It also matters where the effective mass is concentrated. A smaller diameter wheel can be as efficient as a larger one, if mass is concentrated more peripheral.

fly_wheel.jpg

video of this type splitter splitting elm and the alike

Want to see these splitters in action splitting tough,gnarly,crotches and the alike.All videos I've seen is straight grained wood.I would like to see one split this stuff before I buy one.

Latest posts

Back