Question on my favorite chainsaw tool - Wiha allen wrench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
newforest

newforest

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
This one pictured looks a fair bit shorter than mine:

18656-3161607.jpg

I have been considering sawing mine down a little, or a lot. It just seems too long - some of the effort of turning it turns the wrench itself before the nut moves. It seems like when tightening, a shorter wrench would get it done more accurately.

Or is there some odd reason this is better for an Allen Wrench?

I haven't yet found a "tight spot" on a saw where a long wrench is needed to reach in there, though I guess they could exist deep in a saw somewhere - but then I could just pick up a new, long wrench and use a shorter one for the routine external nuts.

newforest

newforest

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Thanks. I have been wondering sometimes why there are never 'click-wrench' type torque specs on a few of the critical spots on a saw. Particularly on magnesium bodies. I over-tightened an automotive oil drain plug once on an aluminum oil pan once - big mistake - but it was a pretty high mileage vehicle.

Anyway I plan to cut down the wrench I have and soften the cut edge just a tad, and pick up another one ... butI will keep that over-tightening possibility in mind.

I have to wonder how that would work with an Allen bit on a cordless? But I have no plans to go that route.

bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3

ArboristSite Operative
The longer bit makes it more difficult, not impossible. I like longer ones for t-handles and shorter ones on bit holders for a ratchet or torque-wrench.

Latest posts