question on stihl air filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tomdcoker

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 031 and 032 chain saw that the flocking is gone on the screens, but the screens are good . My question is can you by a kit of some kind to re-flock the screens. I was reading on ebay where a man had one for sale and he said that he repaired the flock on the screen. Thanks Tom

Toneman

Toneman

Makin Chips
I would buy new ones. If you do find some flocking, you should take care when putting it on. If it doesn't go on right, it may get sucked up by the carb.

tomdcoker

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
question on stilh air filters

As I said in the original post the man on ebay said he repaired the flock so I thought you might be able to buy some kind of kit. for this. I appreciate all the help. I am learning as I go and If I live long enough I will be as smart as all of you. Thanks again for the help. Tom

16gauge

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
tomdcoker said:
As I said in the original post the man on ebay said he repaired the flock so I thought you might be able to buy some kind of kit. for this. I appreciate all the help. I am learning as I go and If I live long enough I will be as smart as all of you. Thanks again for the help. Tom

My 031s (two...have one left) came with fine mesh screen filters. Neither filter had any flocking at all. These were both bought as used saws but they both appeard to have come from Stihl this way.:confused:

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
16gauge said:
My 031s (two...have one left) came with fine mesh screen filters. Neither filter had any flocking at all. These were both bought as used saws but they both appeard to have come from Stihl this way.:confused:

Yes, that was the very old first run version. Also found on very old 024's and 28s to name a few. Unfortunately they don't work all that well - block really quickly and don't stop the very fine material. Stihl then went to Flocking on a bigger mesh, and that worked prety well but the flocking wears off (or users wear it off when cleaning). They then went to "Fleece" in the early 90's (a woven polyester) that is still in use today. Works very well and is durable.

stump doctor

stump doctor

ArboristSite Member
Just go and flock yourself if you need to

No flocking way man! (Sorry couldn't resist) :)

Why take a chance on something as important to the life of your engine as an air filter? A penny saved now could end up costing time, money and needless agravation if some of that flocking comes loose and gets plugged up in your Carb. Buy a new one you won't be sorry and it should last for a very long time.

Latest posts