Questions about a vintage (Lancaster?) saw I was given

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy - I posted this thread in the homeowners help forum, not knowing there was a chainsaw specific forum. The gentlemen there suggested I post this thread here. I'm including some pics.
Heres the story: The other morning, a friend of mine said he had a chainsaw that I could have if I wanted it. It was in the garage when he bought the house several years ago and he doesn't even own a screwdriver, so he wasn't about to mess with it.
Expecting the worst (some useless electric doohicky) I was shocked to find a dusty old vintage saw.
It obviously needs some love, and the only identifying characteristic I could find was a sticker that read 50/IL 5 h.p.
After doing a little digging on the internet, it looks like the saw was made by Lancaster and it has an Oregon bar and chain.
I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on the subject, maybe a little about the saw, helpful hints, sources for parts or even repair manuals, etc.

I appreciate everyones help. I have a soft spot for old machinery and would like to bring this old boy back to life.
Thanks.
P1010024.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010019.jpg

I'd like to track down the year and any information about the saw. I'm no chainsaw expert, but I've heard you guys are.
On a side note, I contacted the President of Lancaster Pump and Manufacturing Co., assuming they were the same company that made the chainsaw. Sure enough, he was kind enough to respond and informed me that they had not made chainsaws for 30 years. He said he didn't have any parts, but he was pretty sure they still had some parts catalogs and manuals and assured me he would send me whatever he had. I just hope this actually is a Lancaster saw and that he's not going out of his way for nothing!

Thanks a lot Jason.
Nuzzy - you really think the chain is too loose? I always thought a little slop made for a quicker cut.:greenchainsaw:

Naw, this is how the saw was given to me, and it has been too damned cold to get out in the garage this week. Just going outside to take the pics tonight was a chilly operation. I might haul it inside to the basement this weekend and start seeing what I can see.

Jackpot!!!

Sambone, i just saw on the history channel last night wher the Lancaster dropped more tonnage on the European front than any other ally during WWII!
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Sorry I guess I get a little obscure after I've had a few:cheers: IMO take her apart and get her runnin !

Thanks guys.
I tinker on old cars and despise newer stuff. And since I moved into my new house out in the sticks, purchasing a chainsaw has been a growing priority, but I held off for lack of funds.
To have a VINTAGE saw just GIVEN to me just seems so perfect. It's more my style and price range.
I can't wait to dig in and see what I can see. For all I know, a flush, cleaning, new gas and oil and a new plug (and a slight chain tension change for Nuzzy) and a sharpening, I might just be in business.
I'm glad I found this place to answer any questions that might pop up.
Does anyone know what year this saw is? 60's or 70's?

I saw a picture of a restored 1957 Lancaster on another thread and didn't know a chainsaw could cause erotic thoughts. Learn something new every day I guess!
Sam

The Awesome People at Lancaster Pump & Manufacturing CO. sent me this copy of an old ad this morning.
I still can't figure out what year it's from, but if I had to guess judging by the ad design itself, I'd say mid-60's. Who knows though, I might be totally off.

LancasterAd.jpg

Latest posts

Back