Questions about chain selection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher Hunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings again from a newish member

I'm going to setup my newly acquired Husq 261 (likely converted to a 262 shortly) with a 20" and 24" bar for the larger trees in my North-central Az area. The trees I'll be cutting with that combo are usually old dead (hard) Junipers and Pinion pine of <30" diameter. Seems like some of these old dead trees are very hard/knotty. Might find an occasional tree larger than 30".

The 20" bar will have a standard full comp semi-chisel chain and will probably be on the saw most of the time.

My question is mostly about what chain I should use for the rarely used 24" bar (with a 261/262). After doing a bunch of reading I think I want a semi/half skip chain due to the modest power of the 261/262. Problem is I can only find square chisel chain in 24" loops or links. ??? Not sure if there is a round filed half/semi skip chain.

Anyway, from what I have read, square chisel doesn't look to be the best option for hard/knotty/dirty wood that tends to be found in my area. I've also seen mentioned that square chisel chain can be "converted" to a round profile (more forgiving) with a few swipes of a round file. So, my initial thought is to try the Oregon 72CK series semi-skip chisel chain on the 24" bar and round file it. Anyway, that's what I was thinking but I'd really like to get some expert advice before I order the chain. I should mention, I'm not really concerned about ultimate cutting speed here. More important to me would be controllability/smoothness of the saw and chain life.

regards
JohnG

When it comes to the juniper and Cedar that we have here in Northern Arizona, semi -chisel is by far the best chain for this dirty wood. It doesn't do any good to think about carbide, the chain will stretch out long before the cutters go bad. If you cut at dusk or in the early morning, you can watch the sparks come off the chain, the more bark that you can get out of the way the better.

When it comes to the juniper and Cedar that we have here in Northern Arizona, semi -chisel is by far the best chain for this dirty wood. It doesn't do any good to think about carbide, the chain will stretch out long before the cutters go bad. If you cut at dusk or in the early morning, you can watch the sparks come off the chain, the more bark that you can get out of the way the better.

Thanks for your reply!

Are you running full-comp or semi/full skip??? I've only used full-comp semi-chisel on my 18" bar but with this new saw and 24" bar I just don't know. ???

JohnG

Oregon JGX is my go to chain for 24" up. Good all purpose skip chain
Assuming u'r running 3/8th

That's fine - but OP is looking for semi chisel skip. JGX is full chisel.

Hope someone chimes in with a source of loops for you gopher hunter.

Most of the wood we have around here (North-central Az) is old/hard/knotty/dirty so I don't think 'full chisel' is the way to go. Unfortunately, the only skip and half-skip chain I've found is of the 'full chisel' variety. Hence, my conundrum. :confused:

I suppose I could try a full comp semi-chisel and just try to keep the saw from taking big bites. That's sort of been my method with my old saw actually.

3/8", yes!

Thanks again for the feedback.

JohnG

I misread "semi/half skip, my bad. Full chisel behavior depends a lot on the angle you put on the top plate. If you can't find semi-skip, run full, and when you re sharpen reduce the angle. It won't bite as hard, but it'll last longer

I would just try oregon lgx and be done with it. If you really wanted to, you could make your own semi skip from it with a grinder, just knock off what cutters you wanted to eliminate..but..lotta work. I would just try full comp first. Half the wood I cut is dirty and the lgx works pretty good.

If you really wanted to, you could make your own semi skip from it with a grinder, just knock off what cutters you wanted to eliminate...

Zog, you would end up with 3 spaces between each cutter, instead of 2. Plus, you might end up grinding off all of the Left cutters (or all of the Right ones)!

Philbert

Zog, you would end up with 3 spaces between each cutter, instead of 2. Plus, you might end up grinding off all of the Left cutters (or all of the Right ones)!

Philbert

yes, buttt..it would make for an interesting thread with the pictures..

I deny all knowledge...sgt. schultz defense

Latest posts

Back