questions about log truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWittenbreder

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a log truck with a prentice 110. how are these grapples, what problems should I look for? He's selling it awful cheap, said it works fine but the cab is kinda rough. Also, any opinions on the CAT 3208 engine.

The 3208 is one of the most used deisels ever produced, from commercial fishing boats, to powerplants, to the logging industry. It is one of my favorite engines, When was the topend done last?:cool:

The 110 is a very popular model in the tree service biz. Mine is a 150 with the 110 stabilizers under it. Little light but it sets up nice in cramped conditions.

The major parts to look at are the main booms and the stabilizers,
check for hydraulic cylinder and pin slop, leaks , cracks or poor welding repairs, if it doesn't look like factory I would stay away from it. The rotation should be smooth, not jerky, again look for leaks around the rotation column.

The trouble with a piece of equipment like this is it gets overloaded many times, gets beat from moving things like rocks, scrap iron, pulling stumps and root balls, digging up crap, the grapple should tell the story here.

A good operater can make a clam work smooth and effortlessly almost like poetry in motion, a bad one can beat the heck out of it with the two piece boom and a hard swinging clam on the end it

Have to agree on the engine, I've heard many a heavy equipment wrench say a 3208 Cat is a darn good engine, the 3108 Cat is the the one to stay away from, Cat calls this one their throwaway engine, when it is used up.

Larry

Back