questions about new blaze king

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems this is a good place for Blaze King questions and they seem to be a well liked stove at a decent price. I see they have an ash pan and a hole in the firebox floor, my question is, do you run the stove with the hole open or is there a cover that fits over the opening?

There is a little plug you use for the hole. I got the ash pan for the stove thinking it would be simalar to my pacific energy (has a little lever that opens a flapper to ash pan) but not the case you have to dig thru and find the plug and pull it out, which I don't like. Emptied ashes for the first time today and shoveled them thru the door. I'm sure if your letting the stove go cold it wouldn't be an issue but not the case here. Temps in the low -20°c and dropping over the weekend

There is a little plug you use for the hole. I got the ash pan for the stove thinking it would be simalar to my pacific energy (has a little lever that opens a flapper to ash pan) but not the case you have to dig thru and find the plug and pull it out, which I don't like. Emptied ashes for the first time today and shoveled them thru the door. I'm sure if your letting the stove go cold it wouldn't be an issue but not the case here. Temps in the low -20°c and dropping over the weekend

That's a disappointment, not much better than shoveling the ash into a bucket.

I just shovel it out, holds 5+ gallons. The little pan in the bottom makes a big mess.

Seems this is a good place for Blaze King questions and they seem to be a well liked stove at a decent price. I see they have an ash pan and a hole in the firebox floor, my question is, do you run the stove with the hole open or is there a cover that fits over the opening?
You have to put the plug back into place after emptying the ash. You cant run the stove with it removed as it will allow unregulated air into the Fireboxand could result in over fire and possible damage .

That's a disappointment, not much better than shoveling the ash into a bucket.
My experience was different. It kept the ash contained well and there was no ash dust plume when putting ash into it. Unfortunately I needed to make 2-3 trips with it to empty the Firebox after a week.

Your thermomet "over fire" range does not apply.

The stoves thermostst is designed to prevent over fire and damage. You cannot harm the stove by burning it on high indefinitely as long as everything thing else is working properly. I've had my stove operating at about 850F. Seems that's the typical temp you can expect with it on high.

The thermostat's reaction is slightly delayed so if you do a fresh load it may take more than 10 minutes for it to catfch up and regulate inlet air. Still no worries for over fire.

Your stove must be different than mine. If I left the intake damper wide open, it'd likely ruin the stove and chimney, not to mention make the house WAY too hot.

I've forgotten it a couple times and that was scary! The draft isn't so strong when it's warm outside, but if it's single digits or colder, leaving it wide open is way too much draft. It'll rumble the house like a D11 is driving by and get the chimney really hot.

Yes, it's s pain in the ass to rake the coals around a hot firebox then push the ash through. I felt it was easy enough to get the plug out, just time consuming and have to let the coals die down to coils once a week to empty.

Your stove must be different than mine. If I left the intake damper wide open, it'd likely ruin the stove and chimney, not to mention make the house WAY too hot.

I've forgotten it a couple times and that was scary! The draft isn't so strong when it's warm outside, but if it's single digits or colder, leaving it wide open is way too much draft. It'll rumble the house like a D11 is driving by and get the chimney really hot.
My king was hooked to 25' clay lined masonry chimney. I needed the heat for the house and too prevent creosote.

Yes, it's s pain in the ass to rake the coals around a hot firebox then push the ash through. I felt it was easy enough to get the plug out, just time consuming and have to let the coals die down to coils once a week to empty.

I just shovel it out when the stove is full. Works better for me. I empty the stove maybe 3 or 4 times a winter. I haven't really kept track, but it seems to work out to about a cord of wood burn to when it's pretty well full. As long as I wait for the stove to be cold and I don't "plop" the ash into the pail it doesn't make dust.

I just shovel it out when the stove is full. Works better for me. I empty the stove maybe 3 or 4 times a winter. I haven't really kept track, but it seems to work out to about a cord of wood burn to when it's pretty well full.
I cleaned mine once a week. I burned 6 cord total. Maybe hard wood ash accumulates quicker.

I cleaned mine once a week. I burned 6 cord total. Maybe hard wood ash accumulates quicker.

Dunno, I mostly burn hardwood in my stove as well. ~5 gals of ash in a week is a bunch though! I burn around 3 cords a winter, have a 3 bed/2 bath ranch, nothing huge. (well... it's still pretty big for just me and the dog)

It is nice that the stove holds a decent amount of ash. My buddy heats his place with another brand (can't think of it at the moment) and it has almost no "belly". I took care of his place over Thanksgiving and I'm sure glad I have a Blaze King and not that turd. It was ALL it could do to keep a fire for 5-6 hours and if you weren't careful when reloading coals and embers would fall out of the stove onto the floor!

20171221_182637.jpg 20171221_182529.jpg 20171221_182604.jpg

Just a glowing firebox and no flames except for flames between the heat shield and the cat. Typically run it between these two settings can set for 8-12 hour burn depending how long I'm gone from home. When I'm turning it down though closer to the second dot I can here a metal ting noise like it's closing off air what's up with that

View attachment 620177 View attachment 620176 View attachment 620178

Just a glowing firebox and no flames except for flames between the heat shield and the cat. Typically run it between these two settings can set for 8-12 hour burn depending how long I'm gone from home. When I'm turning it down though closer to the second dot I can here a metal ting noise like it's closing off air what's up with that
Yup, that's exactly what going on. When you turn the knob it adjusts the air damper and if you close it far enough the damper goes closed and you will hear the flap. The flap has an air hole in it so even if it's completely closed it allows minimal air in to keep a fire going. The flap is free to open and close to maintain a constant heat output based on the thermostat coil it's connected to. The thermostat is calibrated from the factory such thst the stove will not over fire and cause damage to itself.
tstat-valve.jpg tstat-coil.jpg

Dunno, I mostly burn hardwood in my stove as well. ~5 gals of ash in a week is a bunch though! I burn around 3 cords a winter, have a 3 bed/2 bath ranch, nothing huge. (well... it's still pretty big for just me and the dog)

It is nice that the stove holds a decent amount of ash. My buddy heats his place with another brand (can't think of it at the moment) and it has almost no "belly". I took care of his place over Thanksgiving and I'm sure glad I have a Blaze King and not that turd. It was ALL it could do to keep a fire for 5-6 hours and if you weren't careful when reloading coals and embers would fall out of the stove onto the floor!
I didn't get 5 gal of ash per week. I would get 2-2.5 ash pans full which is approximately 1 gal in volume. The deep firebox is great for retaining heat and coals. Even if you think its out youj can give the ash a stir and a little bit of oxygen and you have enough to make a new fire.

So when I hear it close is that the lowest I can go on the thermostat any lower it won't change the burn? Or it will reopen itself when the heat demand is there?

So when I hear it close is that the lowest I can go on the thermostat any lower it won't change the burn? Or it will reopen itself when the heat demand is there?
Just think as turning the knob as how much heat you want. You want less turn it down. You want more turn it up.

The bimetalic coil of wire in the thermostat will regulate the damper independently of your setting to provide an even heat output at the setting you choose.

Heat from a woodstove will peak within an hour of a fresh load and slowly decline. The thermostat coil works to flatten the peak and make a smooth constant output buy restricting air where it would normally peak and then open to allow air where it would normally taper off. It's all temperature driven.

If the stove is hot and you close it, you hear the click (damper is shut) you can still continue to turn it down. Eventually the firebox and heat output will lower and the damper will open once it reaches the necessary temp to cause the coil to retract and open the damper.

The thermostat coil is like the fine tuning to regulate a constant heat output but the main control knob sets the amount of heat overall.

All that said, there is a point at which you could stall the cat if the thermostat is lowered too much and left there. That point on your dial is specific to your stove because everyone's stove/chimney/fuel and environment is different. You will learn with time where that point exhists. Its useful to know and mark for shoulder season.

Hope that makes sense. I feel like I was rambling.

Nope not rambling at all thanks for the help. I enjoy learning everything I can about these things so I can operate it at its peak

Nope not rambling at all thanks for the help. I enjoy learning everything I can about these things so I can operate it at its peak
I ran my King for one season and got rid of it to install a boiler. Just wasn't cutting the mustard for me. Great stove, just needed better heat distribution through the house. I learned a lot from the stove in one year though. I'd defiantly recommend them to anyone. Great support too.

I let the ash in my stove fill until the stove won't fit much wood. I try to time emptying it with a couple warmer days so I can get the stove go cold for at least 2-3 days. I tried using the little ash pan when I first got the stove in 2010 but I didn't care for it. For me it made more of a mess than just shoveling it out.
I have a metal 5 gallon pail and it fills that when I empty it. I let the pail sit outside for a week or two and then dump it out in a low spot in my backyard.

I normally run my stove with the dial at about 1 o clock or so. The stove top runs at around 300-400* (without blower on) It keeps my house at around 70-75*. When it's about 15ish and colder I turn the blower on low. I typically load it twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. Heats for a solid 12-14hrs

If I ran it at the position shown in the photo it probably burn down my house with the stove going nuclear. Would be 90* in the house too. I didn't really figure that the same stove in a different house would vary that much. I guess it all depends on house size, layout, outsize temp and probably mostly chimney.

Latest posts

Back