questions about new blaze king

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to heat 2 floors at 1500sq ft from downstairs which happens to have 2 garage doors. I've done some work to seal them up but they still leak some air. Next winter will be better as we will be doing some renos. -25°c outside so quite cold, having to use stove upstairs as well to keep the entire plce warm.

I'm trying to heat 2 floors at 1500sq ft from downstairs which happens to have 2 garage doors. I've done some work to seal them up but they still leak some air. Next winter will be better as we will be doing some renos. -25°c outside so quite cold, having to use stove upstairs as well to keep the entire plce warm.
Sounds quite similar to what I was to do but with one BK King stove. 1850 sqft ranch on full basement. I was heating from my unfinished basement with a garage door in it. No ducting, just the stair well. Was short of my needs and was having slight creosote in the upper part of my masonry chimney.

Yeah I as well have no duct work just electric. Was using an electric boiler downstairs for infloor heat which don't get me wrong is a very slick setup but burning 4 cords in upstairs stove and paying roughly 250 a month for boiler alone to keep the downstairs a measly 17.5°c and having non of that heat make it upstairs didn't make sense anymore. Hence the stove install downstairs. If the 5.5 cords I have stacked near the house last the winter I will be a happy camper as next winter will be less. And when I say using the upstairs stove it's a few sticks here and there and it's overheating up there. Seems the heat finds its way aroubd the house easier once we have a small fire upstairs.

How many splits to fill the stove? 6 seems to be about all I can get in, sometimes a couple more skinnies on top. Am I using too big of wood or does it make a difference?

Hard to say depending on size and what orientation you load. My firewood is cut 20" long so I would load the stove left/right as opposed to front/back. I took a big bundle of splits and wrapped a ratchet strap around them and weighed it. I loaded 70-75 pounds of wood in it in one loading.

Yeah I load with the cut ends facing the door never liked the idea of loading the other way don't trust the logs not to roll against the glass. Plus sticking my arms into the back of firebox to load doesn't sound fun. No scale here but I do like the idea of weighing the fuel. I know I'd be no where near the #50 they say it'll hold just due to species of wood I'm using

Yeah, I have a good pair of welding gloves and if I had a big load of hot coals and took too long my gloves started smoking. I learned to let it burn down a little more when possible.

I'm going from memory but believe it was 70 lbs. You said they advertise it fits 50 lbs? Either I'm an over achiever or exaggerating, or forgot the the amount lol. Either way, it was a lot of wood and I developed a strategy to get the wood in the most efficient way before it would start smoking and flaming.

I believe you had the king model and I think that holds #90. Mines a sirroco 30 and has a smaller firebox. I think that number must be oak right at 20%

Couldn't quite squeeze the last one in under bypass door. That is a 6 inch round in the middle.

Attachments

• 20180101_011353.jpg
    20180101_011353.jpg
    920.2 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back