Questions for the rebuilders/flippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It comes down to knowing your clients. A lot of firewood hacks around here sticks with 029s but the timber cutters want 044 or bigger pro models. Stihls sales around here like gold, everything else might as well be doggy poop. I have been demonstrating a Jonsered 2171 to some of the guys and they are starting to waver a bit.:chainsaw:

That's sort of what I was shooting for, buying a lot of 25ish saws. When you say you sell them all at once, do you mean as one whole lot, or just list them all at the same time?
I gather a bunch of saws........then sell all at once.

Bringing home several thousand bucks at one time makes it balance out better. It also makes building the next batch easier.

I repair and sell mostly the mid range Stihl saws such as the 1127 series (farm boss, etc) and a few of the MS250, etc.
I can pick these saws up fairly reasonably since they are so labor intensive to repair that most people won't. They are also very common, well known and desirable in the market.
As far as cosmetics, I have never painted anything on any chainsaw ever. That said, the extent of my "detailing" is using a black sharpie to enhance the Stihl logo on the recoil cover, etc.
I recently picked up 10 new aftermarket bars and am going to try to see if the saws move better with those.
When buying saws, I always look with suspicion at saws that have painted parts. I would rather have them original so I can better judge wear, etc.
Anyway, I sell the MS290 and similar for about $225 to $250, the MS310 for about $300 and the 039/MS390 from $320 to $390 depending how they're set up with bars/chains/sprockets.
As stated above, cosmetics seems to be a major determination in saw value and the other is bar length.
Regarding changing parts, I replace anything that's defective. I don't change any parts that are working. For instance, if the carb needs a kit, I put one in. If it works as is, I leave it. I use a lot of used parts and also use aftermarket parts extensively. If I have put aftermarket parts in the engine such as a cylinder or piston, I make that clear when selling it. I try to give full disclosure on my saws and often educate buyers on a number of issues which they seem to appreciate. I try to make a little money on every saw but in reality, it's a hobby. I don't think I could make a living at at. I figure I make at least a couple bucks an hour on average. lol. I do it for fun, not a job. The key (this is really important) is to buy cheap. There is a cap value on a used saw no matter how much work one does to it so to have margin, you need to create that with the initial acquisition.

Not as a lot.......but at, or about the same time.
I like to sell my saws as I get them. That keeps a steady(ish) cash flow and it doesn't flood the market (on Craigslist).

If I sell locally, I sell it with a bar because people want to buy a saw that's ready to cut wood. I always judge cosmetics upgrades on the return that I would get out of it. If I would spend $50 for new plastics and it raises the value if the saw by $50, it's not worth my time.

On large, big money saws its more likely today I would put money into cosmetics.

Repeating whats been said. Buy cheap. I just went to look at a husky 261 and it had 80psi. Got it for parts saw but didnt pay much. Also instead of painting someone just posted plastic restoration advice and used plastic polish. Looks good. You might do somthing like that but dont spend alot of time on somthing when you could be building another saw.

I repair and sell mostly the mid range Stihl saws such as the 1127 series (farm boss, etc) and a few of the MS250, etc.
I can pick these saws up fairly reasonably since they are so labor intensive to repair that most people won't. They are also very common, well known and desirable in the market.
As far as cosmetics, I have never painted anything on any chainsaw ever. That said, the extent of my "detailing" is using a black sharpie to enhance the Stihl logo on the recoil cover, etc.
I recently picked up 10 new aftermarket bars and am going to try to see if the saws move better with those.
When buying saws, I always look with suspicion at saws that have painted parts. I would rather have them original so I can better judge wear, etc.
Anyway, I sell the MS290 and similar for about $225 to $250, the MS310 for about $300 and the 039/MS390 from $320 to $390 depending how they're set up with bars/chains/sprockets.
As stated above, cosmetics seems to be a major determination in saw value and the other is bar length.
Regarding changing parts, I replace anything that's defective. I don't change any parts that are working. For instance, if the carb needs a kit, I put one in. If it works as is, I leave it. I use a lot of used parts and also use aftermarket parts extensively. If I have put aftermarket parts in the engine such as a cylinder or piston, I make that clear when selling it. I try to give full disclosure on my saws and often educate buyers on a number of issues which they seem to appreciate. I try to make a little money on every saw but in reality, it's a hobby. I don't think I could make a living at at. I figure I make at least a couple bucks an hour on average. lol. I do it for fun, not a job. The key (this is really important) is to buy cheap. There is a cap value on a used saw no matter how much work one does to it so to have margin, you need to create that with the initial acquisition.

I seem to struggle finding reasonably priced saws to start with, are you guys that are doing this as a steady thing hooked up with a dealer that gives you large lots for a decent price, I have bought a few from tree service guys but they are no dummies and seem to know the approximate value of a saw with a blown top end, I would have so much in to the saw that I couldn't make any money so I have to pass on them or just keep them, and most of the people on Craigslist seem to be unreasonably priced as well.

I seem to struggle finding reasonably priced saws to start with, are you guys that are doing this as a steady thing hooked up with a dealer that gives you large lots for a decent price, I have bought a few from tree service guys but they are no dummies and seem to know the approximate value of a saw with a blown top end, I would have so much in to the saw that I couldn't make any money so I have to pass on them or just keep them, and most of the people on Craigslist seem to be unreasonably priced as well.
I get most of mine from Craigslist. You gotta be quick when the good deals pop up. Get a Craigslist notification app so you don't miss them. I also always stop into dealers when I travel to see if they have any "junk" saws. Most of the time the dealers keep them for parts, but I recently picked up about 13 Stihl saws in various stages of completeness for $250 from a dealer that was going to take them for scrap.

I look at probably a couple thousand ads for every saw I buy. A couple tips. One and foremost is that you have to have cash on hand to close a deal immediately. An underpriced saw will sell quickly. You need to be the first one onsite with cash. Second tip is to be on the lookout all the time. Most pawn shops have saws ridiculously priced but I have gotten some decent scores from pawn shops. Stop at yard sales and inquire. Do you have any broken chainsaws for sale? I have had people go down in their basements and drag up a heap of parts in a saw case. Auctions and estate sales also yield the occasional find. You have to know what the saw is worth and be willing to go home empty handed rather than investing too much. Putting a wanted ad in your local Craigslist can be helpful. I've gotten a few decent buys from those ads. (proximity is the key factor here, not worth driving 60 miles to buy a $30 broken saw.) Utilize your friends network. Sometimes a saw will show up out of your immediate area but maybe your buddy will go over and snag it for you and then you figure out the logistics later. (I'm picking up two Huskys today from a friend that lives about 50 minutes from me. I paid for the saws via paypal and the seller dropped them off at my buddy's house which was near his workplace.)
There's no magic bullet to finding saws at good prices and sometimes it's slim pickings. This is the time of year to sell saws but also broken ones show up now as people get frustrated with the old girl and replace it.

Getting the saw at the right price is the most important, knowing what it's worth is the hardest part. I assume it needs everything and with that I consider that a good running saw in used condition is 1/2 the cost of new or slightly less, that's a cosmetically good and running saw. I won't pay more than 1/2 of that figure for a broken saw.

I sell on Craigslist or ebay, mostly Craigs and once the word goes around, they start finding you.

Always count your time.

Good info and tips, guys! Thanks! I've got two listed on cl right now and just had my first call seeing if I wanted an older worn out saw after he gets his new one.

it depends on how cheap you get them for and what all is needed I go for as cheap as possible on buying. and then I will fix the mechanical issues and give the saw a total cleaning any covers that are crack but still ok to use I give the buyer the option to fix if they want at a decent price. most just leave them ugly or cracked but some will pay the extra to get a part replaced. I do the bare minimum to get the saw up and running right. then I give them options to make it pretty again. I don't make much and most of the time friends or friends of friends buy the ones I get and rebuild. don't make a lot but I do make enough to keep gas in the truck for hunting or booz for drinking if it was a good season I get both.
depends on buying cost, manufacture, parts cost, and time to rebuild, and customer wants.
good luck to you, only been doing it for a few years myself.
I also stick to the ones that are large cc homeowner saws and pro saws are all I do. small end homeowner saws can be a pain and not cost effective in most situations

So far everything I've done has been stihl pro saws, and the guy I got them from has another lot of 30 or so that will be ready before I finish up with this lot... If I can get them a little cheaper than the last lot, I think I'll go for it. It's fun for me right now, and once these are gone I'll have enough scratch to pick up some parts for the hobbies that don't pay for themselves.

I typically find entire saws that look pretty good and will buy aftermarket parts to get it going and keep costs down. Unless I am working for a person that requests own parts but I never lie about what has been done to the saw. If right the saw will sell itself. Also try to pic popular sizes. Good luck and have fun building. I don't always come out good on saws but I try to at least break even and bring a good saw back to life. It's just an awesome hobby for me.

I rebuild mainly Stihl saws at my shop, and in my locality the homeowner saws tend to sell fastest. The MS170's have been quick turnarounds for me. I have bought quite a few that just didn't run right, replaced the carb, fuel line and filter, and they are ready to go. I generally buy them in the $75-100 range and resell around $150 if they look good. I seem to have a constant market for those. I've had some luck with the 028 and 029s also. Other brands, McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan... I can't even sell those. They can be pretty and run great, people around me just don't want them. Unless they are crazy cheap. Sold a few Poulan trade ins for $40 and they left eventually.

The pro Stihl saws really don't seem to appeal to the woodcutters around here either. I have been sticking to small and mid range saws and doing okay. Just as previously stated, buy cheap. That's kind of the main thing. I've broke even on a few and lost a few bucks on a few. Gotta take the good with the bad sometimes.

I typically find entire saws that look pretty good and will buy aftermarket parts to get it going and keep costs down. Unless I am working for a person that requests own parts but I never lie about what has been done to the saw. If right the saw will sell itself. Also try to pic popular sizes. Good luck and have fun building. I don't always come out good on saws but I try to at least break even and bring a good saw back to life. It's just an awesome hobby for me.
yep

Very well said. Of course I repair anything I can make a dime on. Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, Poulan, etc. You just have to buy them at the right price

Bought right is half sold!

Saw this sign in a buyer's office at a local lumber yard.
That's my motto on buying saws to flip.

You only cry once when you buy quality, is the motto when I sell the Stihls and Huskys.

2stroker

I'm going to begin exploring another source for fixer up saws but it's an idea I haven't heard of so I'm not going to share it yet. If it works out, I'll make it public later.

Latest posts

Back