questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sochr000

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, I did a little looking and couldn't find the answers so figured I'd start a new thread to ask my newbie questions in.

What makes a saw a "pro" saw? is it a certain number of CCs? or because the manufacturer labeled it that way? or some other reason?

this muffler modding I see people talking about, I know you're providing more room for the exhaust to flow, and assuming I stay within the 80-85% range, will this do any serious damage? what are the pros/cons

what does everyone bring with them when they head out to cut wood? I normally bring things like: gas (of course), oil, bar grease, first aid kit, and that weird tool stihl sells with the plug wrench/screwdriver. Am I missing anything important?

Other than using/draining all the gas at the end of the year, are there any other winterizing steps I should take? I live in MN so it gets a bit colder here than some other places.

Oh, and not including CAD (which I guess means Chainsaw Addiction Disease or something like that) what is a good selection of saws to have? I have the Stihl 012 that runs great, and the Oleo-Mac 281 (I think), but should I have some sort of mid-range saw?

any other useful tidbits you think I should know?
I enjoy tinkering with small engines, and am currently trying to rebuild/restore a Stihl 011 with limited success, so if there are any books on small engines I should get to make the tinkering more productive, let me know.

Thanks
-Chris

Last edited:
My definition of a pro saw would be high build quality and a high performance to size ratio. Manufacturers do catagorize their saws for the intended use.

The stuff you listed to take out with you when you cut you failed to mention any ppe. Always think safety first.

As for the saws you have a few more wouldn't hurt. As a general rule of thumb.....A man always needs one more saw that what he's got.:)

What makes a saw a "pro" saw? is it a certain number of CCs? or because the manufacturer labeled it that way? or some other reason?
-Chris

It is becuase the manufacturer designed it that way

this muffler modding I see people talking about, I know you're providing more room for the exhaust to flow, and assuming I stay within the 80-85% range, will this do any serious damage? what are the pros/cons
-Chris

NO serious damage except loss of warrenty. It cools the engine and gives you more power and noise

Oh, and not including CAD (which I guess means Chainsaw Addiction Disease or something like that) what is a good selection of saws to have? I have the Stihl 012 that runs great, and the Oleo-Mac 281 (I think), but should I have some sort of mid-range saw?

Thanks
-Chris

Oh you NEED a 346xp, a ms361, a 2171 and a MS660 :hmm3grin2orange:

#1) A pro saw, you rebuild, a homeowner saw, you throw away(unless you are a member of this site, then you rebuild it too!)

#2) Yes, it increases flow, in turn bringing more fuel and air mix into the chamber and increasing power. No cons, all pro's. Engine runs cooler, more output, much much better sounding.

#3) I bring a couple saws, a scrench( the weird tool) bar oil, mix, PPE and something to drink.

#4) I do not winterize and use 100LL AV gas fuel, so no need to winterize.

#5)My big saw is 76cc w/25" bar , my mid is a 56cc with a 20" bar and my small is a 41cc with a 16" bar, and that is what I take to the woods. I agree a mid size saw is good to have.

#6) as for useful tidbits, use the search, keep your fuel mixed, your carb adjusted, your chain sharp and cut some wood. Oh and use the search:) And most importantly have fun:clap:

#1) A pro saw, you rebuild, a homeowner saw, you throw away(unless you are a member of this site, then you rebuild it too!)

#2) Yes, it increases flow, in turn bringing more fuel and air mix into the chamber and increasing power. No cons, all pro's. Engine runs cooler, more output, much much better sounding.

#3) I bring a couple saws, a scrench( the weird tool) bar oil, mix, PPE and something to drink.

#4) I do not winterize and use 100LL AV gas fuel, so no need to winterize.

#5)My big saw is 76cc w/25" bar , my mid is a 56cc with a 20" bar and my small is a 41cc with a 16" bar, and that is what I take to the woods. I agree a mid size saw is good to have.

#6) as for useful tidbits, use the search, keep your fuel mixed, your carb adjusted, your chain sharp and cut some wood. Oh and use the search:) And most importantly have fun:clap:

Great post...

Latest posts

Back