Quick and easy way to swap a tach from saw to saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psjwi

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I finally bought a tach and I really like the idea of having it on the saw while in use, but now I wish there was an easy way to swap it to another saw.
This one is the type that requires it to have the pick up wire wrapped around the plug wire.
I've got some ideas of how it could be done but rather than reinventing the wheel, I was wondering if anyone has already come up with an easy way to accomplish this?
Any ideas from the group would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

I have a wired one and it works perfectly fine without the wire - I just hold it against the air filter cover above the spark plug.

Try Yours, maybe it'll work "wireless".

I think the wire is just to make it possible to mount the tachometer where it's most convenient!

I have the black generic Chinese eBay hour+tachometer.

So I finally bought a tach and I really like the idea of having it on the saw while in use, but now I wish there was an easy way to swap it to another saw.
This one is the type that requires it to have the pick up wire wrapped around the plug wire.
I've got some ideas of how it could be done but rather than reinventing the wheel, I was wondering if anyone has already come up with an easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Paul
Put wires on all the saw coils and switch the tach as needed simple and effective.

Yes that's what I originaly had in mind. And if putting the tack "close" doesn't work in this case I would still do that.

But I was wondering if there was a clean way to make that electrical connection. I have a background in electronics and have been trying to think of some type of connector that I had run accross that would work well for this kind of use but so far nothing clean and simple comes to mind.

Since the guys in the group are a pretty sharp bunch I thought there would probably be some suggestions in that regard.

It's quite likely that it can be made to work without a wired connection because it really is doing that anyway (it's not directly connected to the conductor of the plug wire)
but rather is picking up the signal inductively. I'll play around with it and see what kind of results I get.

Some time ago i'v seen some YouTube videos with Hyundai chainsaws [chinese Zenoah clones]. They had from factory a tach attached to the air filter cover. The tach was wired to the coil lead and was some type of quik disconect thing.

That's quite the sales video they have there! I did see the connector you were talking about. I'm sure that works fine for the way they are using it but probably not too good for what I had in mind.

I'll see if this tach that I have can be made to work without the wire connection to the spark plug - that would be by far the easiest - probably using the velcro as initially suggested.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul, you could try winding the pick-up wire in a spiral shape and duck tape it to the cowl above the spark plug wire.

Paul, you could try winding the pick-up wire in a spiral shape and duck tape it to the cowl above the spark plug wire.
Yes, that might work too.

I should have time to play with it this weekend and see what it takes to trigger the input of the tach.

I may try doing something like that on the underside of the top cowl with a wire that had been wrapped around the plug wire on one end and then formed into a spiral shape right under where the tach would go.

If I could get by with just a small patch of Velcro on the spot where the tach would mount it would be a nice clean setup.

Spade connector or similar?

Full-Insulated-Spade6_3mmMF[2].JPG

mz8aX0FDbI7aiSbf6sp5s7Q.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, those would certainly work.

I thought that maybe one of the guys had come up with some super clean way of doing it.

One thought I had was to make the electrical connection through the one of the two screws that can be used to hold it down. That would eliminate the velcro and would only require a connection from a wire wound around the plug wire over to one of the (captured) nuts under the cowl. But then you have two holes in the top plastic when not using the tach - so not exacty ideal either.

if I can get it to work wirelessly with the velcro, that would probably be best.

Okay, those would certainly work.

I thought that maybe one of the guys had come up with some super clean way of doing it.

One thought I had was to make the electrical connection through the one of the two screws that can be used to hold it down. That would eliminate the velcro and would only require a connection from a wire wound around the plug wire over to one of the (captured) nuts under the cowl. But then you have two holes in the top plastic when not using the tach - so not exacty ideal either.

if I can get it to work wirelessly with the velcro, that would probably be best.
IF it picks up the signal steadily.

OR you can purchase the Jabroni (R) Tach clamp.. tach8.JPG

I will post pics of the 2017 award winning model tmrw. :D

Yeah I just tried it for the first time on one of the Earthquakes that I had finished porting.
I was surprised to see how quickly it accumulated over a 1/2 hour on it just cutting up one smallish maple (and doing a bit of tuning on the carb)

Back