Quick and easy way to swap a tach from saw to saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I had time over the weekend to play around a bit with this Trail Tech TTO brand tach/hour meter and it does work wirelessly (at least it did with the Earthquake I was trying it on)

As long as it had the original length of wire on it that it came with, it would pick up the RPM quite easily as long as you had it anywhere near the plug area.

I tried cutting the wire off quite close to the body of the unit and then it would not work. So I soldered a short length of small diameter bare copper wire to the short stub that was sticking out the side of the unit and wound it in a circular coil pattern on the bottom of the tach and glued it down with super glue then applied velcro over the top of the coil.

That setup works fine as long as you use it quite close to the spark plug area. To use it farther from the spark plug I think another coil on the bottom side of the carb cover or cowl in the area you wanted to use it would probably work fine.

Now I'm not saying that this is the best - most accurate tach - but does seem to work pretty well and also includes an hour meter.

Latest posts

Back