Quick Opinion needed on splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deranged

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal, I do most of my splitting with an X27, occasionally rent a splitter to get caught up, and the ones that I can't split with the Fiskars either get noodled or sit around until I rent a splitter again.

There's a DR 5 ton electric splitter up for sale locally, which I can most likely get for 100 bucks. From what I've found they seem to do very well, and it would be useful for those stubborn rounds that the fiskars bounces off of, but maybe someone here has actually used one.

Buy it or pass??

Hundred bucks..if it doesn't work you can resell it and get your hundred back.

edit: another thought, take a few of the pieces you are looking to split with you to try it out.

Pass. Mine sits in the garage collecting dust since I bought the X27. I've found that if the X27 can't split it, the trusty 5 ton won't either.

I got one for free. it split about 1/2 of the peices the x27 couldn't.

I had the Speeco version. They are nice for downsizing splits. I would hand split with the Fiskars into 1/8's and then halve those with the little electric.

Well I think I am going to pass. I didn't have time to run home and grab any rounds to split first, but I got to looking at it and it seems it can only fit rounds about 18 inches long, and I cut mine for my insert at a minimum of 18, so it would rarely work for me.

I split kindling with a Fiskars X11, which is awesome for that purpose. :rock:

Thanks for the input guys. :msp_thumbsup:

I got one for free. it split about 1/2 of the peices the x27 couldn't.

Free is a good price! How sharp is the wedge? Makes a difference on axes, proly the same with powered splitters..but I don't know if there is a safety factor there either. Perhaps powered splitters need the wedge medium dull.

Its wicked slow. I'll put the fiskers up against almost any splitter. But it did get me a few more pieces of wood that was not given away.

Back