Quick Wood ID Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
Can someone tell from the picture below what type of wood I have in my trailer? My nephew came out this morning and ask if I could help him cut some camping wood. Not doing anything and a chance to run the saw and splitter hey I'm in. We get to the place and low and behold it is wood that is already cut by a power line crew out in a farmers field. So we split up my trailer load and his pickup and he says he has enough and if I want any for my ODW burner have at it. Well I know he got some Box Alder by the red stains in the wood. And I THINK that my trailer is loaded with Elm.(But not sure) The wood did not spit like elm (not stringy) and split fairly easy. It is a pretty bright yellow in side with the white outer ring. Heavy and full of water. No branches left only logs so I can't show a picture of these. My tree ID is terrible but I guessed it as Chinese Elm. I have more then enough soft wood to last me 2 winters so I am not interested it that but if it is indeed Elm then I would guess it would be worth my time to get the other two trailer loads. The crew is coming back to chip these up Monday so I have the weekend to get them should I choose to. Any help would be appreciated.
100_2714.jpg

Can someone tell from the picture below what type of wood I have in my trailer? My nephew came out this morning and ask if I could help him cut some camping wood. Not doing anything and a chance to run the saw and splitter hey I'm in. We get to the place and low and behold it is wood that is already cut by a power line crew out in a farmers field. So we split up my trailer load and his pickup and he says he has enough and if I want any for my ODW burner have at it. Well I know he got some Box Alder by the red stains in the wood. And I THINK that my trailer is loaded with Elm.(But not sure) The wood did not spit like elm (not stringy) and split fairly easy. It is a pretty bright yellow in side with the white outer ring. Heavy and full of water. No branches left only logs so I can't show a picture of these. My tree ID is terrible but I guessed it as Chinese Elm. I have more then enough soft wood to last me 2 winters so I am not interested it that but if it is indeed Elm then I would guess it would be worth my time to get the other two trailer loads. The crew is coming back to chip these up Monday so I have the weekend to get them should I choose to. Any help would be appreciated.
100_2714.jpg

Stuff in that pic is Mulberry...
Really wet at that...
BTU is on par with Beech and sugar Maple..
Good stuff.

Last edited:
Can't say that I have split a lot of Mulberry so it sure could be. I guess what really had me guessing is the bright yellow color of the pieces after being split. This yellow inside would be consistent with Mulberry correct?

Can't say that I have split a lot of Mulberry so it sure could be. I guess what really had me guessing is the bright yellow color of the pieces after being split. This yellow inside would be consistent with Mulberry correct?

Corrrect!

And Mulberry will split pretty decent too...
Even the goofy shaped pieces...
:msp_wink:

Thank you gentlemen for all your responses. I don't know where in the heck I came up with Elm. Would an elm bark and a mulberry bark be some what similar? By tomorrow night there should be two more trailer loads stacked and waiting to dry out. Anyway thanks again and you can bet the next time I split open a round and see the bright yellow color I will at least know what I got thanks to the information provided on this board.

Back