Quickest Method to Process Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laying low recuperating sucks. Well, not the recuperation part, just being sidelined.

In keeping with this thread title, and reminded by older pictures in my post #40, I would say improving my filing and bar upkeep is probably one of the single most, and cheapest improvements in processing. It effects every cut. How hard your working at it, and your equipment.

The first step is awareness. Yoga really. Once you focus and observe, you will learn. Then that focus grow to include the little steps between the big ones. I've yet to apply it to getting sick of course.

This year I sidelined my staging table at the splitter, actually two, because I was adding a second log deck and staging table.

Something, after many years just clicked one day this spring.

I had stored the Posch for the winter and was rethinking how to set it up this spring. I tried to pre visualize the moves I go through with the fork lift, the room I needed. I was doing other stuff out there, but this was on my mind. How to work around a beautiful Oak I had left standing. Maybe move to the other corner of the lot, but then it would be tight getting trucks in. Left me working around that Oak. I need to feed the two log deck from both sides of the splitter, and pull pallets off the Posch, access the log pile, and keep the drive open to get 20 cord loads in. In other words a big T layout with the conveyor, plus log piles

The staging table is on wheels, does that help? What if I turn the whole set up around? (Which I did.) Can I turn the Posch? The controls are now on the back side. Didn't care for that but it works. Do I need this, or that? With one log deck the staging table was never questioned. With two, the T was getting wide...plus fork lift access. Can I turn one of them 90 to the splitter? Not ideal. Then... do I need them?

I had some logs on the deck to cut up before I could move it, and another log deck to build yet. I set up the Posch and tried it with a half cord, and somewhat surprised, liked it. I still had to move everything, and set the Posch up again, but I liked it.

Puling the staging tables cut 7' on each side of the splitter. That works... for the Oak and forklift. Turns out, great, with some give and take. I lift the rounds one less time each. I start the chain saw every twelve cuts, and often less. (I've learned to start it alternating arms each time.) I've done 23 cord in May. 5,800 lbs/cord X 23 cord = 133,400 lbs or 66.7 tons less lifting so far... Also, changing what I was already doing,, did not cost me anything.

Those that have been on AS a number of year probably remember my scaffold for staging wood to be stacked in racks. It worked, was low cost, but there were dangerous jambs that would drop and fly out, and it always the slow bottleneck in the process. Most people pile wood and it is good. I got ugly, moldy wood. Green wood must be called seasoned to sell, and that just pisses people off. Most of my first time customers have bought from several of those folks. I try to get them to stop and take a look before deciding to buy. Some do, some don't, many weekend cottage owners and such.

Photo from walking up conveyor. Three rows on right and seventh row is almost complete. (4-6 is last years). Six cord per row.
IMG_4717.jpg

Latest posts

Back