Quickie saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Doug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I didnt know were to put this. I do alot of scraping and i want to get a quickie saw. Because i want to buy local there is 2 shops one sells Doimar and the other sells Huskey. Does any one know about ether of this saws. The huskey has one thing that is a plus in that ithere are more dealers around.

I'd stay away from the smaller Husqvarna saws, seem to be hard to get running right and have that troublesome "2 barrel" carb. Dolmars are okay but don't have a very good aftermarket and OEM parts are quite high if you ever need to rebuild..

Are you referring to a “cutoff” saw or multipurpose saw that spins a circular blade used to cut metals and stones?

I didnt know were to put this. I do alot of scraping and i want to get a quickie saw. Because i want to buy local there is 2 shops one sells Doimar and the other sells Huskey. Does any one know about ether of this saws. The huskey has one thing that is a plus in that ithere are more dealers around.
I would pick up a used stihl I have a ts400 use it all the time with no problems I've had this for over 8yrs now and no complaints. Just shop around and don't buy some body's junk wore out p.o.s. there a lot of great saws out there

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

The reason i am thinking about a new saw is i have a troy built horse tiller that i got cheap and they will trade for it.Its been a very dry summer and it would take time to sale a tiller or i would sell it out right and go look around. Before i thought about the tiller i was looking for a used one.

The husqvarnas are alright as long as you don't drop them. We broke the case where the av mount in front of the clutch bolts on a bunch of them. That and the impulse lines would come off were the only real issues we had with them. That's coming from a company where most of the operators had no idea how to take care of any of them and no maintenance. The dolmars always seemed big and clumsy.

As far as the ts400, if you are doing a lot of cutting on the ground the handle position is better on the husqvarna compared to any Stihl except the ts700 or ts800.

I will be cuting metals.
I think we need some more information. What kind of metal will you be cutting and how thick? Will this metal cutting be done where you have electrical power? I use an angle grinder with metal cutting disks for most of my metal cutting.

As far as the ts400, if you are doing a lot of cutting on the ground the handle position is better on the husqvarna compared to any Stihl except the ts700 or ts800.
I didn't tell him to buy a ts400 that what I bought got a great deal 200.00 back then I've cut cars farm equipment truck also a lot of concrete. If I was in market I would by a newer model. Some of you people have way to much time on your hands . I wonder at times if people that never used any type of saws are going off what you read from old articles or just flat out Google about everything. Ya I just said that. I think he should buy what ever best for him . I've used both husqvarna and stihl only thing and this is for me if I need parts there a lot more stihl dealers around my area. There both good saws. So now this should keep some of you people busy for awhile. Have fun

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

If you are cutting up thin metal or cleaning radiators etc try to get old diamond blades. I get the ones that start grabbing in the stone or block and use them for thin metal or cutting the tanks off of car rads until the are totally shot. I've also used them to cut corrugated tin for pole barns. They don't leave the big burr like the abrasive blades do.

I will be cuting thin stuff alot of aluminium a bread truck nothing thick but it will be to big for a small grinder cut off wbeel.The stils look like they are layed out better if i didnt have the trade deal going on thats what i would look at I looked at a corded saw they make them to handle the same blade but it wouldnt be as useful.

Be sure you buy the correct blades. We had a guy grab a 3900 rpm blade. It stuck in the guy standing next to him as soon as if touched a rebar. That blade jammed itself between the saw like you see it. I should have gotten a picture of the guys leg. Abrasive blades don't work well in aluminum.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I ended up with a Dolmar f 7314. Its been close to 100 out side so i havent used it alot but i run it some yesterday.I haul scrap iron and it helps to down size some stuff to make a better load or keep stuff from hanging over the truck or trailer.I had several things that were heeding some thing cut off before i loaded them or they needed cut to seperate steel from aluminum the saw worked great for this its realy made things faster and less work.

How much do those saws run? I wonder if a 4000 watt generator, a 1.5 gallon compressor and a 250 China plasma would be faster and less likely to remove limbs for the same money.

How much do those saws run? I wonder if a 4000 watt generator, a 1.5 gallon compressor and a 250 China plasma would be faster and less likely to remove limbs for the same money.

$600-$1500 depending on the size, plasma is not the way to go for demo work. They don't handle dirty metal as well, are very picky about being fed dry air, require good power and air, don't like materials that vary in thickness too much, don't cut hollow objects too well. For this type of work a gas torch or cutoff saw is the way to go, just need fuel and blades.

Latest posts

Back