quiet chainsaws,,, do they exist?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcdarvy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok I know a chainsaw is loud, but of the screaming beasts what is the quietest yet practical petro saw. (ive got pissed off neighbors)

also, among the electric saws, is there a large difference in decibels?

and while iam at the questions what is the best electric saw for power/rpm's?

any feedback is much appreciated

Oregon battery powered or Makita electrics may fit your needs

Oregon has a battery pack powered chainsaw. Baileys a site sponser has them, and there have been a few posts and even a couple of reviews about them on here. You may want to do a search on the site for 'PowerNow' chainsaw. I do not have experience with this new saw, although I have used very old electric saws. An electric saw would probably be okay for occasional cutting/trimming, but not optimal. Check out the Makita electric saw and again do a search. I think there is a member here that lives in a city and uses it to cut up a small amount of firewood for his house. My neighbor had a smallish electric saw bought from the local big box store that probably was not very sharp and after seeing him take forever on a 2" branch - I went over there and quickly cut up what have would have taken him 10x the time with my small gas powered saw (38cc muffler modded loud saw).

Good luck with your search.

Every older Echo chainsaw I have ever run was quieter than any other brand of the same size, for instance I had a Stihl 025 and a Echo 452, the 452 was noticeably quieter, and even though the 025 was newer I kept the Echo for around the house work, of course when the neighbor complains about how loud my chickens are I pull out the 995G and rattle his windows.

Quiet neighbors?

Just curious but do you live in a senior citizen complex?The Bingo crowd who are a bunch of seniors? Or do you live next door to a day care center?Just bustin you. The quietest saw that I have ever run was a Stihl ms 280. It took some serious self restraint not to do a muffler mod on the police chiefs saw.Ken

ok I know a chainsaw is loud, but of the screaming beasts what is the quietest yet practical petro saw. (ive got pissed off neighbors)

also, among the electric saws, is there a large difference in decibels?

and while iam at the questions what is the best electric saw for power/rpm's?

any feedback is much appreciated

Sir,

With all due respect, we like our saws loud around here. When they are new we cut extra holes in the mufflers so they are louder (I mean faster). We live by the philosophy, if one hole is good two or three holes is better. All this talk about quiet and electric saws is getting me nervous. Pissed off neighbors is no excuse. The best remedy for a pissed off neighbor is a bigger louder saw. When they start complaining, just rev up the saw so you can't hear them, then cut down some of their bradford pear and japanese maple trees. :)

Sir,

With all due respect, we like our saws loud around here. When they are new we cut extra holes in the mufflers so they are louder (I mean faster). We live by the philosophy, if one hole is good two or three holes is better. All this talk about quiet and electric saws is getting me nervous. Pissed off neighbors is no excuse. The best remedy for a pissed off neighbor is a bigger louder saw. When they start complaining, just rev up the saw so you can't hear them, then cut down some of their bradford pear and japanese maple trees. :)
gold

i think i may just have to be not liked by my neighbors and just do what i have to do.

the sthil li 36v @650$ and the oregon @500 seem a bit pricey, id love to get one and just may, but i fear after a summers work, will they still? havent had much luck with batts especially 260$ per batt, eagg if only there was a wall and batt option....

the 023l is rare, darned if i can find one on the net, ill try the shops, tho iam curious,
has anyone modded a muffler for silence?
it would be nice to spend 600 on a big saw and weld onto my ms170...?

what are you cutting and do you have to do it there? ie, could you buck up the wood where it comes from? Share a few details of your living situation and your cutting needs so more sound advice may be given. (hey, I just made a pun)

Unless you have some strange covenants or local ordinances or zoning, seems to me running a saw during normal daytime like "business hours" is no different from running a large riding lawnmower, leaf blower, etc.

The Oregon battery saw I have is very quiet.

If you absolutely have to cut at 3:30 AM, might want to go to the old fashioned real manly man method, a bucksaw or a bowsaw. They are cheap, and work. Sharp is your friend....

I cut all my personal firewood for years with a 30" bowsaw (4-5 cords a year), that is about as quiet as you will find.

There's no law that says you absolutely have to have a motor or engine to get some serious work done.

who in the he** would want a noiseless chainsaw,, the louder the better for me:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

As mentioned, Echos are, as a rule, quiet.

Dunno if they still make "McCullochs" at Jenn Feng in Taiwan. Bought a 35 cc model 5 yrs ago- very quiet, and good power output. Often you can quesstimate quietness by inspection: big muffler, quiet.

I remember a story about cedar-rustlers in the PNW about 20 yrs ago. They adapted automotive mufflers to their saws so they could sneak about in the old-growth cedar.

I never could understand the fascination with ear-shattering chainsaw "mufflers." Hearing simply cannot be replaced.

As mentioned, Echos are, as a rule, quiet.

Dunno if they still make "McCullochs" at Jenn Feng in Taiwan. Bought a 35 cc model 5 yrs ago- very quiet, and good power output. Often you can quesstimate quietness by inspection: big muffler, quiet.

I remember a story about cedar-rustlers in the PNW about 20 yrs ago. They adapted automotive mufflers to their saws so they could sneak about in the old-growth cedar.

I never could understand the fascination with ear-shattering chainsaw "mufflers." Hearing simply cannot be replaced.

I always wear hearing protection when cutting whether the muffler is "quiet" or not, so to me there are no major downsides to a loud saw. My closest neighbor is a bigger saw freak than me (he would rather have the sound of a saw in the background of whatever he's doing 24-7:smile2:) and the rest of my neighbors understand that they live in the country and a man has to cut wood sometimes!

Years ago, a guy called Stu in japan ( i think) started a thread where he fitted a bike muffler to a saw to do some milling in the middle of Tokyo, cant find the thread, but below is a link to his site with some pics.

The Tokyo Log Hog Mark II

Latest posts

Back