Quotation vs Estimate?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I contracted a tree service company to take down a bunch 10 large trees in my yard which they estimated to take 3 days. Currently the job is only halfway complete after 2.5 days of work. The QUOTATION not estimate says "Tree removal, 10 large trees cut down and debris removed. Quoted by the day with crew of 4 men. Estimated three days to complete job." Half way through the job they say that one tree alone is a two day job...so how could you quote 3 days total if 1 of 10 trees would take 2 days?! So my question is does the quotation imply that the 10 trees will be taken down and removed for a fixed price or will they try to charge me for 6+ days of work instead of the quoted price?

So I contracted a tree service company to take down a bunch 10 large trees in my yard which they estimated to take 3 days. Currently the job is only halfway complete after 2.5 days of work. The QUOTATION not estimate says "Tree removal, 10 large trees cut down and debris removed. Quoted by the day with crew of 4 men. Estimated three days to complete job." Half way through the job they say that one tree alone is a two day job...so how could you quote 3 days total if 1 of 10 trees would take 2 days?! So my question is does the quotation imply that the 10 trees will be taken down and removed for a fixed price or will they try to charge me for 6+ days of work instead of the quoted price?
Should have asked them that at the beginning! That is a very strange way to write up an agreement. What price per day and how many hour day?

Should have asked them that at the beginning! That is a very strange way to write up an agreement. What price per day and how many hour day?
I guess I didn't ask in the beginning because to me it was clear and obvious the quote was for the job...not however long they take to do the job. They normally charge $2400/day but discounted to $1700/day for multi-day project. Right...what constitutes a day?!

I guess I didn't ask in the beginning because to me it was clear and obvious the quote was for the job...not however long they take to do the job. They normally charge $2400/day but discounted to $1700/day for multi-day project. Right...what constitutes a day?!
If not specified I would say you can argue that 8 hrs is a work day and most people would agree. You need to talk to them and clarify before this gets of hand. Look them up online and see if they have a good reputation.

Look them up online and see if they have a good reputation.
They have very good reviews online from several sources. They're fully insured and their quote was very reasonable in my opinion. To me it was an easy decision but apparently things aren't so cut and dry :/

Let them complete the job and then pay them for their estimated three days.

Maybe generous and pay for a forth day.

Now way should an estimated 3 days of work turn into six.

Be careful about adding in any extra work.

I really don't want to get all technical and legal about this but I may have to. Two things to note are 1) they estimated 3 days with a crew of 4 people which equal 12 man days but they only had a crew of 3 for max of 3 days equaling 9 man days so technically they would owe me another day with a 3 man crew and 2) there was a locust tree leaning on another locust tree and a second locust tree branch that they took down which was not in the quote but was discussed and agreed upon during the initial consultation. So now he's saying there are 14 trees instead of 10. That's my bad not making sure that was included in the quote but it certainly was not 4 additional trees it was 2 relatively small trees and a branch. Look i'm not out to screw these guys over and I'm willing to pay an extra half day of labor or so for the locust trees but this just seems like a "bait and switch" kinda situation.

I really don't want to get all technical and legal about this but I may have to. Two things to note are 1) they estimated 3 days with a crew of 4 people which equal 12 man days but they only had a crew of 3 for max of 3 days equaling 9 man days so technically they would owe me another day with a 3 man crew and 2) there was a locust tree leaning on another locust tree and a second locust tree branch that they took down which was not in the quote but was discussed and agreed upon during the initial consultation. So now he's saying there are 14 trees instead of 10. That's my bad not making sure that was included in the quote but it certainly was not 4 additional trees it was 2 relatively small trees and a branch. Look i'm not out to screw these guys over and I'm willing to pay an extra half day of labor or so for the locust trees but this just seems like a "bait and switch" kinda situation.
It really does, speak to him and clarify and have a witness listen in.

First and foremost: What does the CONTRACT say?

Secondly: I don't assume a client cares what my per hour or per day rate is or necessarily how long it will take - they want a bottom line price.

Third: It sounds like the ESTIMATED the time and QUOTED the price...but we are hearing one side of the story.

Finally: Just because one tree takes 2 days doesn't mean 9 can't be done in one day...every tree is different.

First and foremost: What does the CONTRACT say?

Secondly: I don't assume a client cares what my per hour or per day rate is or necessarily how long it will take - they want a bottom line price.

Third: It sounds like the ESTIMATED the time and QUOTED the price...but we are hearing one side of the story.

Finally: Just because one tree takes 2 days doesn't mean 9 can't be done in one day...every tree is different.

1) I removed the company name and my information but at the top it say Quotation. The quotation is the contract, if it said estimate then it would be just that an estimate. I'm trying to determine if i am paying for 3 days of work or 10 trees to come down.
2) Agree, I don't care how many man hours it takes or what rate you pay your employees...i just want the price
3) The contract is the story
4) True but highly unlikely when they're all the same species with similar size and location

Attachments

• trees.png
    trees.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 53
Sounds a bit shady or you missed something in the contract. Any jobs we do in the hvac business are either straight out price or time and material. If the boss quoted it wrong sucks for him.
I don't think i missed anything in the contract but correct me if I'm wrong.
If he honestly misquoted the job then ya it sucks for him but I also want to be fair and reasonable. If he under quoted on purpose to get the job and play the change order game then forget that!

Well a good company will either quote pay by hour or by job and if they go over that's their problem. A bad company with little experience would be the one to quote a job and charge extra because their quote was wrong. An experienced tree service with a good rating that's insured I would think knows what they are doing. From what I remember about your tree job it was a bit tricky and the person who quoted the job would have easily known that.

Either there was a miss communication or an assumption. You should probably talk to the company owner and be polite but firm about the situation and try to work it out.

Idk what I'd do if i were in ur situation though...

1) I removed the company name and my information but at the top it say Quotation. The quotation is the contract, if it said estimate then it would be just that an estimate. I'm trying to determine if i am paying for 3 days of work or 10 trees to come down.
2) Agree, I don't care how many man hours it takes or what rate you pay your employees...i just want the price
3) The contract is the story
4) True but highly unlikely when they're all the same species with similar size and location
You need to confront him, sooner the better and ask him how he is planning to charge! The extra trees I'm sure will raise the price. I would say if his reputation is good as you say he's likely worrying how to approach you on the extra work. I do believe you two can work it out though. This business is hard to estimate, there are times its in my favor and times its the other way around. 33 years and it still takes longer than I thought when i bid the job.I think for myself its cause i'm older and bid like when i was 35 and bullet proof, my bids are solid though even if I lose. I have bid at times on large projects
'price may increase" or time and material , large being 25 acres 150 trees! I was upfront though and told the customer its hard to put a fixed price on this project.

That contract looks to me like it's 1700 a day for a 4 man crew and they estimate it will take 3 days therefore you owe atleast 3 days worth. It says nothing about the job will be complete in 3 days for a total price of... Idk what the verbal agreement was though.

IMO that's a straight up quote on doing the whole project. The description on each line is just that, how he came to the figure. I'd mail him a check with a xerox copy of the quote. I've been in purchasing, and manufacturing and in both instances a quote is what the PO gets created for and in turn what the Invoice calls for.

That contract looks to me like it's 1700 a day for a 4 man crew and they estimate it will take 3 days therefore you owe atleast 3 days worth. It says nothing about the job will be complete in 3 days for a total price of... Idk what the verbal agreement was though.
True but it states 10 trees and now 14 so it may increase, "that being said"the op needs to contact the guy and sort out agreement they both can live with. I think the op needs to give the guy a chance to explain how this will end.

Back