Race fuel ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Csfrank2500

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A good friend of mine who owns a logging company is running racing fuel in there saws (all but one is Husky). He told me its the only way to go, I guess I wanted to hear your guy's opinion.

high octane

A good friend of mine who owns a logging company is running racing fuel in there saws (all but one is Husky). He told me its the only way to go, I guess I wanted to hear your guy's opinion.

I run high octaine in all my saws.I always ran it in my cars with high compression,Always seem to run cooler in a high compression enging.To me a chainsaw is very like that with high compression.I am sure there are better reasons to use it?If a saw has had some work done to it to raise the compression might want to run racing fuel.more compression needs more octaine.

If you have a high compression saw then yes, or if you are concerned about running pump gas with 10% ethanol then yes. But other than that... I think your wasting your money.

There are 1000's of members here who run pump gas in there saws with out any issues. However there are a few who only run high octane gas (with out ethanol) in there saw's and wouldn't do anything different.

I've read 100's of post's on the subject and my thought is that if you don't have a high compression saw there is really no need to use high octane fuel.

I agree with dave...if your not running an extremely high compression saw and gas storage isn't a concern, pump gas is just fine.

Any power increase with race gas? What about longevity on the saws on race fuel? I myself have never played with race fuel...i do ALWAYS run 93 octane fuel only in all my saws though... I am curious to what exact race fuel that they use...because there are many types out there...turbo blue, vp racing...etc...etc..

The one benefit of racing fuel
or AV gas is the absence of
ethenol which is in almost all
pump gas. We all know what
ethenol can do to a small engine
if left in it for extended periods of
time.

Lee

I ran some 110 octane in my saws a few years ago. They ran rich and if there was no wind it would burn your eyes. The only reason I would run it is for storing it for a longer period of time.

Always wondered, does race fuel have a longer storage life then pump gas? Here in Kalispell, MT most places sell ethanol free premium (91) which is great for my saws and bikes.

It is my understanding it does store much longer the pump gas.

I raced a buddies mustang last year and they leave fuel in the car over the winter "VP" not sure what rating and it fires right up in the spring with no problems.

Our local pro shop is now carrying this fuel. It is VP 94 octane ethanol free. I am not sure if it is synthetic or not. I used to use VP race fuel in my no bar drag bike and that is synthetic. Has anyone seen this or used it?

View attachment 178169

Stock saws are usually in the 9:1 compression ratio range, so anything more than mid or premium is a waste and can actually make a saw harder to tune.
Contrary to what is often thought, higher octane fuel does not contain more energy. Octane is increased via additives to fuel that increase its resistance to ignition. The benefit of higher octane is that it allows more ignition advance and more compression, both of which increase the likelyhood of predetonation, hence the need for higher octane, which is more resistant to ignition.

Stock saws are usually in the 9:1 compression ratio range, so anything more than mid or premium is a waste and can actually make a saw harder to tune.
Contrary to what is often thought, higher octane fuel does not contain more energy. Octane is increased via additives to fuel that increase its resistance to ignition. The benefit of higher octane is that it allows more ignition advance and more compression, both of which increase the likelyhood of predetonation, hence the need for higher octane, which is more resistant to ignition.

That was the impression I was under, that if anything higher octane fuels were more stable. Any power gains are from engine modification and the fuel is just to prevent catastrophic failure due to pre-detonation. I have had no problems with regular pump gas, however I do now use non-ethanol 91 now that I found a place that sells it. And the only reason I use it is because of I have more vintage saws than newer saws. Otherwise I wouldnt waist the time to drive across town and pass by about 10 gas stations for it.

Race fuel ain't always high octane.

Rec 90 and Rec 91
Buy non-ethanol gasoline: Marathon Recreational Gasolines - Tampa Bay sports car | Examiner.com

I'm waiting on our local Marathon distributor to get his summer supply in to fill our tank.
Same stuff sold by the local Marinas, No corn squeezins to suck water and destroy fuel lines, and it's not prohibitively expensive like VP in a drum or paying by the Gallon at the local dirt track.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I am glad to see that, I hope it leads to a few more places around here carrying it. We have one in town, dont remember who it is, but its not Marathon.

I think that there are too many types of race gas to just say "race gas". Rather than say "race gas", we need to specify which one. There are oxygenated, leaded and unleaded.
Can a leaded 110 octane gas have a negative effect on a stock motor? Maybe, but it's not a difference that I can discern. Can a oxygenated fuel have a positive effect on that same motor? Absolutely. I've experienced it many times.
If a person does the research, you can find fuel for any motor that will have a positive effect on performance.
The most I paid was $45 a gallon and this was gas. Nitro was $40.

I agree with some, I only ran high octane in my bore and stroked race quad nothing else. But he got me thinking, I know he was running Cam 2, 110, leaded when i talked to him.

Thanks for all your inputs.

and one plus to the fuel is i like the way it smells, reminds me of the track.

i use the vp small eng. fuel in the saw and w. wkr and blower for home use and dont have any problems at all. It is s-e-f ( small engine fuel 94 octane ) The fuel isnt race gas just ethonal free. The oil i use is the stihl ultra oil . I run the saws at least once a week or twice a month to keep the fuel circulating thru them.

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I always run Shell 93 in my saws, but I want to get something ethanol free. I've had numerous issues with the gas absorbing moisture, etc, when it sits.

There's a local BP Aviation that sells 100 octane unleaded for $4.50/gallon. What do you guys think about 100 octane? The main saws I use are a Stihl MS250 and Jonsered 2095.

Stephen

If you have a high compression saw then yes, or if you are concerned about running pump gas with 10% ethanol then yes. But other than that... I think your wasting your money.

There are 1000's of members here who run pump gas in there saws with out any issues. However there are a few who only run high octane gas (with out ethanol) in there saw's and wouldn't do anything different.

I've read 100's of post's on the subject and my thought is that if you don't have a high compression saw there is really no need to use high octane fuel.

+1

waste of money. Tried vp-116, no advantage. Aviation fuel-burns toooo slooooww

I agree with the cats thatsay no advantage. only advantage I see is the absence of ethanol.

I ran it in my Mustang because a had the timing advanced up to 18° and it would ping and detonate if I did'nt. And thats only when I was at the track. Any other time, I retarded it down to around 13° and ran 93. Compression was 11.25:1. There was no power advantage, other than the advanced timing. So I guess you could say it allows an advantage, but only if you have what it takes to get that advantage in the first place.:rock: I love the smell of it burning in a big V8 though.

Latest posts

Back