Raising the bar. Peltor radio headsets.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerasimek

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If you don't want to make alot of money in a safe work environment, don't bother reading this.
If you consider yourself a professional, read on.
I've been using the Peltor Radio headsets for 7 years now and I have never seen nor heard of anyone else using them. Why? The expense? At $500 a set they're not cheap by any means, but the benefits far outweigh the price.
You can use an old 2-man crosscut to fell a tree or you can invest money in a chainsaw and make your business more efficient. I bet 100% of you use chainsaws over crosscuts. (unless, of course, you're competing in a crosscut competition)
Who has had the aggravating experience of being up in a leafy canopy waiting for a groundie to look up so you can do some sign language that you hope he can understand if he even sees it? Who here has tried to yell loud enough from the top of a tree to get a groundie's attention while he's running a saw? I'll tell you...everyone without wireless communications.
Consider the benefits of giving a command at any moment and knowing that it will be heard loud and clear, even if you can't see the person you're talking to. Imagine teaching the new guy to operate the bucket truck or any piece of equipment. You can just talk him through it. He doesn't have to make eye contact with you or lift his ear protection. Telling the guy pulling the tree with the bobcat to pull harder or to slow down. Warning a worker of a danger that he can't see...instantly. I can go on and on.
I just wanted to open this discussion to raise the bar. Wireless communications are the safest, most efficient tool for what we do. I wouldn't work without them.
Gerasimek

They work both ways. When you first turn them on they are voice activated. Double tap the talk button and they become push to talk.
These headsets have many options and they are compatible with motorola radios with channels and subchannels. I keep motorola handheld radios in the trucks so when I see an employee returning to the jobsite (from dumping chips, hauling wood, etc.), I can tell him where I want the truck instantly. Instead of him parking, getting out, getting my attention, asking me where I want the truck, walking back to the truck, moving it, and so on and so forth. You're probably seeing the benefit already.
You can adjust the sensativity of the voice activation as well.
These headsets have surround sound which is really neat. Police and armed forces use this and this is why it's so useful. Microphones pick up and filter sound through to your ear at a volume you choose. Load noises (like a gunshot, slamming a tailgate, using a chipper or chainsaw)are immediately shut out before it reaches your eardrum. Example of use: You're up in the bucket when your groundman informs you that the customer wants to talk to you for a second. You turn up the surround sound and you can hear the customer talking from 75' up in a tree as if he were standing right in front of you. Basically, bionic ears. You can turn it up, down, or off altogether. I usually keep it off unless I'm on the ground or it's needed.
I usually use voice activation when climbing or when I'm dropping a tree and I've got a man pulling with the bobcat or truck. I can talk while both hands are busy. Push-to -talk most of the time. It's a button on the back of the right ear cup.
They're durable.
They're powered by 2 AA batteries. I keep a charger in the truck and use Sanyo eneloop batteries. I've been using these same rechargable batteries for 7 years! 7 years! (wanted to emphasize that)
They look really professional. (Obviously. You saw my picture, right? Ha!)
Anything else?
Gerasimek

I don't have any experience with the specific headset but I have a Peltor Optime 3. Very happy with it and it's idd very durable. I'm sure that I'll buy a Peltor again next time. As far as I know, they are really top notch in communications with headsets.

Where to buy?

Very interested with a new equipment addition we are making soon. These would make a tremendous difference in efficiency. Where do we purchase these?

I've been wishing for something like this for years. I have a minor vocal chord issue that loud talking aggravates. We use good active noise canceling headsets in aviation all the time and I've been trying to convince one of the companies that make aviation headsets to build something for tree workers. Even without active noise suppression having an intercom would be fantastic.

A friend of mine has some Peltor Lite Com 49s that I can have for cheap. They don't look like the ones depicted in this thread but maybe they would be a good place to start? Comments?

MM

MM,
I just got off the phone with Peltor. The model I have, power com plus, has been discontinued as of January. They still offer the power com tactical, in military green, which is the same radio. It retails for $685.00 (I know. When I bought mine 7 years ago, they were $300!) The rep I spoke with said I could probably find them for less online.
They have a slightly cheaper ($525.00) headset called the BRS. It offers only 8 channels and you have to get a FCC license to operate them.
If you wait a bit, the rep said a newer, simpler model is expected to be released. Not sure exactly when.
If you can get those radios from your friend, I suggest you do it. The rep said they cost over $900. The Lite com version has 5 channels and you don't need an FCC license.
Honestly, and I'm not joking, I'd pay $1,000 a set now that I've used them. I wouldn't want to go to work without them. My employees would say the same thing.

Gerasimek

We have also been using the Peltors for about 10 years now. Would not work without them. They make the entire operation safer without yelling back and forth at each other. Have looked at alot of other options but still come back to Peltor. Yes, they are expensive but if you take care of them, they last many years.

Are you guys running into any interference issues in cities with these setups? Also, is there any other equipment needed ( wires to a belt mounted transmitter, etc. ) or is the unit self contained in the helmet muffs?

Are you guys running into any interference issues in cities with these setups? Also, is there any other equipment needed ( wires to a belt mounted transmitter, etc. ) or is the unit self contained in the helmet muffs?

I've never experienced any interference anywhere. They are compatible with the hand-held motorola radios you can buy for about $75 a pair. Alot of guys use those types of radios while hunting.
No wires. All self contained.
Gerasimek

I've never experienced any interference anywhere. They are compatible with the hand-held motorola radios you can buy for about $75 a pair. Alot of guys use those types of radios while hunting.
No wires. All self contained.
Gerasimek

But you have to carry the radio on you as well? If that's the case, I ain't buying yet. I can stream hd video on something the size of a thick credit card, the technology is there, designers just need to apply it.

But you have to carry the radio on you as well? If that's the case, I ain't buying yet. I can stream hd video on something the size of a thick credit card, the technology is there, designers just need to apply it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. They are completely wireless self-contained (in the earmuffs) units. You can speak back and forth between headsets as well as with hand-held radios on the same channel. So, as you're pulling up to a jobsite, you can pick up your hand-held and talk to anyone on the site that's wearing a headset without trying to put on your helmet while driving. Just a real convenience.
Gerasimek

Sorry if I wasn't clear. They are completely wireless self-contained (in the earmuffs) units. You can speak back and forth between headsets as well as with hand-held radios on the same channel. So, as you're pulling up to a jobsite, you can pick up your hand-held and talk to anyone on the site that's wearing a headset without trying to put on your helmet while driving. Just a real convenience.
Gerasimek

I see. What's the range?

I see. What's the range?

If it's a clear line of site, probably a quarter to half mile. If I'm approaching a jobsite in my truck I can usually hear my guys when I'm 200 yards away, sometimes further. So, on your typical jobsite, you can be heard loud and clear at any time. Frontyard to back. Treetop to ground. Like you're standing face to face. Or, if you're working for several houses on the same street, it's clear as a bell.
Gerasimek

If you have the muffs up off your ears can you hear a call from someone else if there isn't a saw or chipper going?

I use a UHF setup a lot more range and clear. Never really have to worry about interference the ones in our trucks do an easy 7-miles the handhelds do 2-3 with phone clarity.

My headset has a strap that goes on top so you can still wear a hard hat.

I have four sets of Peltor pro-comm headsets and am quite happy with them. We have used them for years.

Couple of issues.
1 - they are expensive.
2 - they don't like alot of moisture. Sweat from ears, rain.
3 - Some guys find them heavy (compared to regular earmuffs).

Also, you're best to wrap the mic's with a windsock or tape to keep your spit (from talking - mike must be very close to your lips). Otherwise, voice to talk can get compromised.

I use a "halo" bandanna (Sherill) to keep the sweat out of the earmuffs.

I found mine (new) on eBay for $100 a set.

They come in real handy. I can be up a tree gunning a chainsaw and speak into the mike (voice activated) and even the guy feeding the chipper can hear me clear as day.

From a safety standpoint, they are invaluable.

Latest posts

Back