Raising the bar. Peltor radio headsets.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have four sets of Peltor pro-comm headsets and am quite happy with them. We have used them for years.

Couple of issues.
1 - they are expensive.
2 - they don't like alot of moisture. Sweat from ears, rain.
3 - Some guys find them heavy (compared to regular earmuffs).

Also, you're best to wrap the mic's with a windsock or tape to keep your spit (from talking - mike must be very close to your lips). Otherwise, voice to talk can get compromised.

I use a "halo" bandanna (Sherill) to keep the sweat out of the earmuffs.

I found mine (new) on eBay for $100 a set.

They come in real handy. I can be up a tree gunning a chainsaw and speak into the mike (voice activated) and even the guy feeding the chipper can hear me clear as day.

From a safety standpoint, they are invaluable.

I agree with you on the sweat issue. I had an employee that sweat like a pig and I came up with this quick fix that works. Take the cushion off the earcup of the side with the electronics. Lay a piece of plastic/saran wrap across and the snap the cushion back on. Trim the excess and you have a water tight seal. Never had an issue since.

If you have the muffs up off your ears can you hear a call from someone else if there isn't a saw or chipper going?

I never raise my earmuffs...ever. Just turn on the surround and you can hear better than with your own ears and if there's a loud noise, the headset will mute it until the loud noise is gone.

I use a UHF setup a lot more range and clear. Never really have to worry about interference the ones in our trucks do an easy 7-miles the handhelds do 2-3 with phone clarity.

My headset has a strap that goes on top so you can still wear a hard hat.

What type of system do you use? It might be a cheaper alternative for guys here that might have a tough time with the Peltor's price. Any info you share may help someone get wireless communications and that's my goal with this forum.
Gerasimek

What type of system do you use? It might be a cheaper alternative for guys here that might have a tough time with the Peltor's price. Any info you share may help someone get wireless communications and that's my goal with this forum.
Gerasimek

I dont know if its cheaper. but deffinetly commercial grade mine falls out of the tree everyonce in a while when a twig gets caught in it. One UHF radio programed on the cheap side would probably cost you around 300 then a noise canceling headset is probably another 250.00.

ill take a picture of them when i get home. but you deffinetly dont have to change channels because someone would have to take there radio back home and reprogram it to get on our channel thats saying they knew the frequency even.

I dont know if its cheaper. but deffinetly commercial grade mine falls out of the tree everyonce in a while when a twig gets caught in it. One UHF radio programed on the cheap side would probably cost you around 300 then a noise canceling headset is probably another 250.00.

ill take a picture of them when i get home. but you deffinetly dont have to change channels because someone would have to take there radio back home and reprogram it to get on our channel thats saying they knew the frequency even.

For that money you could buy the Peltor and have it attached to your helmet so in never falls out of the tree. Peltor comes with noise cancelling microphone and once you set the channel, you don't have to change it. If, by chance , you kept hearing other people on your channel, you could easily change channels on the spot in a few seconds. I've been using the same channel since I first got them 7 years ago.
I'd still like to see what you have.
Gerasimek

For that money you could buy the Peltor and have it attached to your helmet so in never falls out of the tree. Peltor comes with noise cancelling microphone and once you set the channel, you don't have to change it. If, by chance , you kept hearing other people on your channel, you could easily change channels on the spot in a few seconds. I've been using the same channel since I first got them 7 years ago.
I'd still like to see what you have.
Gerasimek

As soon as I get home ill take a picture if the one I keep with me. We have our own UHF freq we use we have never had interference. I went with it because its just higher end those Motorola radios are ok but broadcast on cb channels. Our headsets are made by Motorola. You can be chipping logs and talking.

The range was one if the limiting factors for me with the handhelds I can talk to my crew pretty far away when we are doing right if way work. I can plug it into the headset for crane work it just use it with a corded mic any other time.

Last edited:
Take the cushion off the earcup of the side with the electronics. Lay a piece of plastic/saran wrap across and the snap the cushion back on. Trim the excess and you have a water tight seal. Never had an issue since.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definately give this a try.:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back