Ramblings on a rainy PNW day.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hddnis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm sitting here looking out the window, the sun is up but the day is gray and rain is coming down. Pouring so hard in fact that the gutters can't keep up and there is a curtain of water obscuring my view of the little fish pond outside the window by my desk. There is a nice fire going in the woodstove, burning some partly bug eaten fir snag that had grown along side the driveway.

Faced with such a day I've got some choices to make, namely will I work outdoors or in? I've sized up the wind and it is all wrong for dealing with those Doug Fir snags that are leaning towards the power lines. I could climb and take down the Cotton Willow, but I'd be getting slapped by the Doug Firs it grows up into. No, I think I'll work on some projects in the shop. I've got the dehumidifier running, the only way in that old shop to keep the damp away during the wet season.

I'll make a few phone calls to follow up on some work leads, maybe pin down something to put a little of the spendable green in my pocket. Sometime this afternoon I'll let the little guy help me move a wheelbarrow load of firewood inside by the stove. He loves to carry it from the door to the stack by the stove. He reverently calls the woodstove and the fire inside the "Baappa!", not sure where he got that from, but he insists on it. I guess at 20 months you can sort of call it like you see it.

First thing in the shop will be some welding to fix an aluminum truck tool box lid. After that I've got four 36" and one 32" bars that need dressed. Then a carb rebuild on the little garden tractor. Next I think I'll put the new bearings in the mower. The grass is going to love all this rain and be growing like crazy when the sun graces us with his shine and warmth.

Of course, I might decide to hang it all and go fishing.

Mr. HE:cool:

Nothing like the rain on the coast here today, but it is looking gloomy, and I gotta go shoe some horses...hopefully they have a barn, as I hate bein bent over in the rain...unless I am runnin a powersaw, fallin big timber...them days are gone I think :cry: Have a good day :)

Pourin' up here on Whidbey Island, WA too... but we also have the friggin' wind comin' right down the Straits of Juan de Fuca... and it barrels in to the West Side of the Island... Fun Stuff... :)

Gary

You too.

Don't get too wet shoeing those horses. I agree on the falling part. If the wind were just a bit less I take down those snags. Couple of 14" DBH and about 100'. Feet got wet and they just tipped into the neighboring trees.

Let us know if they had a barn to keep you dry.:cheers:

Pourin' up here on Whidbey Island, WA too... but we also have the friggin' wind comin' right down the Straits of Juan de Fuca... and it barrels in to the West Side of the Island... Fun Stuff... :)

Gary

I was looking at the regional radar this morning and it doesn't show many areas where it isn't raining today. Big 'ol blanket of wet out there. Mix in the wind and you get all kinds of fun. I'd rather it had wind with it. A still day of downpours is really borining, wind gives it some life. Keep yer head down and stay safe.:cheers:

no rain down here in So Cal......but it's coming, Wed or Thurs which means a dirty four letter word around here...SNOW.:cry:
The 72+ inches of snow we have received so far this winter was just finally getting melted to a reasonable amount to allow access into the national forest. Most of the Ice is melted on Big Bear Lake and soon the Public launch ramps will be open.:clap:
The trout will kill anything shiny being trolled behind the boat. I mean you can limit in 30 min or so. Limit being 5.
My Vote is to go fishing!:cheers:

Ed
Stay Safe Out and Up There
:chainsaw:

no rain down here in So Cal......but it's coming, Wed or Thurs which means a dirty four letter word around here...SNOW.:cry:
The 72+ inches of snow we have received so far this winter was just finally getting melted to a reasonable amount to allow access into the national forest. Most of the Ice is melted on Big Bear Lake and soon the Public launch ramps will be open.:clap:
The trout will kill anything shiny being trolled behind the boat. I mean you can limit in 30 min or so. Limit being 5.

Ed

Ed,

I lived on Eagle Point for 5 years until we moved up here last July. I ran the snowmaking pump house at Bear Mountain in the winter.

We are supposed to get rain & snow through this week.

:cheers:

grew up on the westside, from Ashland to Arlington. We're getting some of that storm here, I find it very comforting. Makes me a little homesick.

Sometimes you feel the history of this land, for it's weather. Other times its just a bear to work in.

Last edited:
We are getting this storm right off the Pacific, roaring wind, sheets of rain, pounding surf, not very warm.
I think I will pull out all the shooting irons and give them the once over, then wander out and talk to my McCullochs.

Ed

That almost takes the sport out of fishing. "Here fishy fishy, jump in my boat why don't 'ya." lol

Ed,

I lived on Eagle Point for 5 years until we moved up here last July. I ran the snowmaking pump house at Bear Mountain in the winter.

I need to move to a higher elevation, not enough snow. I love the stuff and I'm always driving to enjoy it. Grrrr.

grew up on the westside, from Ashland to Arlington. We're getting some of that storm here, I find it very comforting. Makes me a little homesick.

Sometimes you feel the history of this land, for it's weather. Other times its just a bear to work in.

I hear ya' This weather is what makes home home for me. When I was little I'd go out and play in the rain. Come in cold and soaked. Stomping through mud puddles, building dams in the street gutters, then bridges over the lakes I'd just made. Nothing like a rainy day to calm the soul.

We are getting this storm right off the Pacific, roaring wind, sheets of rain, pounding surf, not very warm.
I think I will pull out all the shooting irons and give them the once over, then wander out and talk to my McCullochs.

I envy you. Coast on a stormy day is the best. What kind of guns are you cleaning today?

Yesterday (Sunday) I took my shirt off at 11:00 and worked in the yard all day. Today it is misty but still pretty warm. Thursday I have a small job cutting up a bay tree that fell in a local creek and is lodged up against the culvert. I have to have city employee with me all day to fend off the residents even though the waterway is public property. I'm hoping it won't rain that day.

You too.

Don't get too wet shoeing those horses. I agree on the falling part. If the wind were just a bit less I take down those snags. Couple of 14" DBH and about 100'. Feet got wet and they just tipped into the neighboring trees.

Let us know if they had a barn to keep you dry.:cheers:

No barn, but it was a false alarm...little bit of drizzle with some wimpy gusts. Must not have rained much cuz I brought my tin coat along. Actually was good shoeing weather!

Got some WILD hail about noon here. Shoulda heard the planting crew wailing! It's been a squall line ever since: rain -- shine --rain -- shine -- rain -- shine -- (ad infinitum, ad nauseum). It's sunny at this very moment but I can see the next rain five minutes away. Osps! There goes the sun. Musta jinxed myself. Oh, well. Guess I'll go grind some chains.

Fishing gets my vote as well - as long as you save some for me!

I've got the dehumidifier running out in the shop, along with a wood stove out there. If I ran the dehumidifier 24/7, I could keep the shop around 80%-85% humidity. Without it, 95%+. Rust would form overnight on the tablesaw.

With both the wood stove and the dehumidifier, I've got the humidity level right at 60%, and that's just running both on the weekends. I pulled 2 gallons of water out of the air yesterday, though.

For this rainy and windy day. I spent most of it in Roseburg. Had a 12:30pm appointment at the VA. Annual check up. Things turned out really good for me. Though they keep preaching about how I need to stop smoking. Swung buy a pawn shop up there to see what saws they had. A 575XP for 500$, 032AV ?$ didn't look and some kind of crapsman. Came back home. Sitting in my small work area cleaning up the Homelite 995D a buddy game me. :givebeer:

I drove for a couple of hours to a Safeway parking lot. It was windy and rainy. A logger showed up and guided me up to his landing--I'm covering for vacationing people in an unknown to me area. That was another hour. It was windy and rainy and haily and not nice. He and I marked and cruised trees that need to come down for a helicopter landing. Then we wandered up and looked at the next unit and the marking. I'm glad I don't work there all the time. The ground is rockier than here and makes my ankles hurt. Whine for the day!:)The weather was too nasty and the helicopter was not flying. Because the road was wet, they could not haul. However, they could build the landing which they were going to do.

The creeks and what I think was a river were too muddy to fish. I saw no elk to kill. I drove 3 hours back. The drive was long enough to dry out in, but I have a fire going in the woodstove, fed the Used Grapple Cat, and will soon push pills down the throat of the Used Dog. He's doing fine.

The sign that tells us what to do says TRACTION TIRES REQUIRED and CHAINS REQUIRED ON VEHICLES 10000 GVR AND UP. That would be for White Pass, elevation 4500 feet. I really need to get that season pass!:dizzy:

Grapple Cat update: I thought he had run away, as he was nowhere to be found last night or this morning, but he reappeared and meowed for the first time. I think he has mastered the Cat Door, even though I put it in backwards. :)

Ed,

Hello Larrytcg,
Do you miss the Ole Mountain Top?:)
Ah yes Eagle Point off of Eureka and BB Blvd. Caught a lot of trout all around that peninsula. I'm in Sugarloaf. You sure missed the Biggest Snowfall since 1969 this winter.
Speaking of Bear Mountain, I was just on a removal over in MoonRidge Last Week. Is the elevation where your at in Oregon about the same as here?

Ed

Latest posts

Back