Ramp(s) for my trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a 6'x15' dual axle trailer, Bought it to haul hay and wood in the spring time.. I'd also like to be able to load my jeep on it and the lawntractor, 4wheeler..

Rigth now it has no ramps just and open back, I'm going to build some but I'm looking for some ideas. I was thinking of either 1 large ramp or 2 smaller moveable ones. Wasn't sure if I wanted them permanent or removable. I'll be picking up my wood in a few weeks and I'll have to rig something up for the back until I get the ramps built.

Anyone have and ideas, pictures?

Thanks

http://www.bri-mar.com/DumpTrailersoptions1.htm

Does your trailer dump? That's a big one to unload by hand!!! I'd love a dump trailer with the landscape gate as shown above.

My brother has a dump truck with a modified door. He can release a latch on the drivers side and then swing the whole door around to the passenger side, so he can be loaded by a fork truck if he is moving material on pallets. Maybe you could do something like that with a bottom hinge instead of a top hinge.

Here are a few pics of the ramps I built on my trailer that I just finished building. I don't know if your trailer is a flat deck or dovetail, but this may at least give you a few ideas.

I would imagine you would want your ramps to be removable, and a single big ramp would be heavy and a pain to flip up and down or stow.

These ramps are built out of 2," 1/4" wall tubing, with 3/16" thick 1 1/2" angle iron spaced 4 1/2" on center. More than heavy enough for a tractor or vehicle which is what I'll use this trailer for.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The nice thing about these is that they flip over. I will build a "wedge" on the bottom side, so when they're flipped over I will have a full 21' flat deck. I also have another ramp that goes in between these too that I have to finish, so I'll have 3 to flip down and a full width ramp. I built stake pockets on the sides so I can add sides for hauling wood.

Hope this at least gives you some ideas! I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

if you load a jeep or tractor or something else heavy, you really need something to support the rear end of the trailer.

or you will bend the trailer.

jackstands, something similear, or gizmos on the ramps that support hte ramp to the ground when it is loaded hard.

Stihl051master, thats exactly what I was thinking about, thank you. What are you going to use to keep them folded up when your moving? My trailer already hase stakes pocket all he way around and 10" sides. I was planning on build larger sides with some type of attachment so I can attach and trap or net over he whole thing while I get hay and wood..

Great idea for the ramps though, I'll have to see if it'll work aswell with mine, Mine is not a dovetail and is quite abit higher..

Thanks again

Thank you for the kind words! I got a new welder the end of December so I kind of went overboard on the projects. I think I've gone through 5 tanks and 55 lbs of wire, so I'm sure getting my use out of it.

To answer the questions above, drmiller: YES! ALWAYS block under the back of the trailer when loading or unloading, not for fear of bending the trailer, but for the fact of the weight transfer up on the front of the trailer - it could easily pop off of the ball causing all sorts of carnage.

Bill, I just use a ratchet strap right now to keep the ramps from flipping down when I'm traveling. They are really heavy, so it's doubtful they'd come over, but better safe than sorry.

I'll put some more pics on when I get them finished and painted. I just needed them to load the tractor up now.

Bill,
You could use C-channel for the long runs on the ramps also. It would save you some $$$. That's what most of the manufactured trailers use, usually some 3" structural stuff. I just used the tubing b/c a friend knew I was building a trailer and dropped some off. You could make 2 or 3 nice long ramps and then have them flip straight up and double as a tall tailgate. Do a search for Corn Pro trailers and look at some of those. They have a lot of pictures that may give you some ideas also.

One thing I added on my trailer were some backup lights. A lot of campers have them, but I never have seen any on an equipment trailer. I put mine on the backs of the fenders so it would light up behind it, and also light up the corners. It makes it REALLY nice backing it up at night time.

Latest posts

Back