Random repairs that have come up lately

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffbm3

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So in the last two weeks, I have run into some pretty random repairs that I thought I would share...

1. Obviously carbs. Sometimes a soak and a kit work fine, but the really small carbs (25cc blowers) sometimes just won't come clean. Interestingly, I had a Craftsman (Poulan) handheld blower come across the bench. Wouldn't run well at WOT without a little choke. Compression was OK, and the fuel line was like new. It came with a Zama, but the kit was $14, and the replacement carb was $26. HMMM, I ordered the new carb, and it went on great. Total cost to the customer was incredibly low since it didn't take much time for the install. But the carb was a no name knock off. It will last as long as it needs to on this blower.

2. One year old Stihl handheld blower. Wouldn't run well at all. Strangely, the plug was in so tight, I needed to use a large socket wrench to remove it from the head. Change of plug and fresh gas, good as new.

3. Stihl back pack blower. This gets interesting. The owner is a landscaper, changed out the head and piston with OEM parts. It wouldn't run well for him at all, and he never got it to run other than a rough idle. It sat for a while, and he didn't want to give up on it. Took it apart to the block, and re-assembled it. Reason: The head gasket was upside down. It was blocking enough to make it rough, and additionally, there are SO MANY GASKETS from the carb to the block that one of them was 180 degrees off, and therefore, blocking the impulse hole. It went: Block, gasket,heat shield,gasket,carb block,gasket, carb... It was easy to do it wrong. Started first pull and runs like a champ. 1 hour, a T-27, and Qtips...

A little advice that I offer: for rebuilding, I have a supply of wooden toothpicks, and long wooden shaft Qtips that I use for aligning things ups. The really nice part is that it won't damage threads when they rub during assembly. Plus the Qtip fits in the small impulse hole along with the carb bolts.

The gas thing is out of control. The number of gas line change outs, and carbs is crazy... People talk about soaking, ultrasonics, and carb kits, but sometimes a new carb is the only way to go.

So far with saws, Fuel lines, and small carbs needing to be changed out have been the talk of the day... For the larger saws, I haven't seen that many problems lately. Most of the problems with bigger stuff has been from companies with many users. And usually it involves trauma to the unit. Skidsteers, and drops from buckets are the norm...

Have a great 4th, closed up the garage an hour ago, and thought I would share. If it helps anyone with putting something back together, then great...

Jason

A little advice that I offer: for rebuilding, I have a supply of wooden toothpicks, and long wooden shaft Qtips that I use for aligning things ups. The really nice part is that it won't damage threads when they rub during assembly. Plus the Qtip fits in the small impulse hole along with the carb bolts.

I'll have to try that... another item that REALLY works well for quite a few applications (digging out crud, plugging disconnected fuel lines, etc) is the bamboo shish-kabob stick. Cheap as dirt, and tough enough to be used multiple times.

Back