random width flooring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkottemann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need some advice on where to take some reclaimed wood and have it milled into randomwidth flooring. Here is the story. I have been disassembling a barn my dad and uncle built in the 50's It is mostly white oak. I started to do the floor myself, but my method is entirely too time consuming for me right now. First I have to plane the wood to the proper thickness, then I have to run it through a jointer to make sure I have straight boards. the problem is the planer is on one side of louisiana, the jointer is on the other and my place is in mississippi. I just want to take the wood, which is rough cut white oak and drop it off somewhere and have it done, but I am not real sure who to take it to or where to start looking. there are plenty of millworks advertised in the local yellow pages but they all do cabinets, doors, windows and pretty much everything but floors. I know someone out there has a machiene that can do what I need done in one pass, but who???

here some of the sawmills have molders witch will do what you are looking for.Might want to check with the local mill

Maybe not where you live, but in this part of the country, finding somebody and paying them to take your rough lumber and turn it into flooring will cost more than if you just bought the flooring outright. It's a supply and demand thing. Keep searching though.

had a stroke of luck today. I called the first wood working shop I found online in this area. we got to talking about stuff and I told him what I do and how I used to manage swamp logging for a timber company. well he offered to swap work. He will do my floor if I can supply him some cypress boards. the next phone call I made was to my buddy who still works for the timber company and asked for some cypress logs. He said to come with my trailer next weekend and i will get loaded up. I am going to haul them to my friend who has a woodmizer cut them up and deliver the cypress and old rough cut barn boards the following week. pretty good deal if you ask me.

Latest posts

Back