Rapid Micro or Rapid Super on Stihl 029 Super?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seriously doubt that they are actually replacing RMC with RMC3 chain. I may verify this with a call to the big stihl tomorrow if I have time.

Please post if you find out anything or see any 26RMC in your area. As you see in my post a few minutes ago, apparantly it's a regional thing.

My Husky/Stihl dealer stocks and sells a bunch of RMC. I just bought another couple loops of .325, 16" for $16 and 18" for $18.

PM sent. :msp_smile:

Many thanks sunfish! I will have my eye on the mail.

BTW - I was told today in an email from Stihl customer support that if you live in VA, NC, SC or east TN, the distributor for that region carries the yellow RMC chain as well.

Many thanks sunfish! I will have my eye on the mail.

BTW - I was told today in an email from Stihl customer support that if you live in VA, NC, SC or east TN, the distributor for that region carries the yellow RMC chain as well.

Glad to help, man! :msp_smile:

Mail came! I now have 2 shiny new 26RMC chains...chains I have been told by dealers either is no longer made or is no longer available. I am looking forward to giving them a try and retiring my old 26RS and 26RM2 chains to backups.

Mail came! I now have 2 shiny new 26RMC chains...chains I have been told by dealers either is no longer made or is no longer available. I am looking forward to giving them a try and retiring my old 26RS and 26RM2 chains to backups.

Strange your dealer says that. As you know, my dealer stocks and sells a lot of that chain. :msp_smile:

Last edited:
26RMC is current chain, I suspect the :msp_sneaky: dealer just want to sell the "green" 26RMC3 instead - don't bite on that bluff!

to be fair to the dealers, I have learned (directly from Stihl corporate) that each region has an exclusive distributor, and they make decisions on which parts like chain are or are not carried in their region.

to be fair to the dealers, I have learned (directly from Stihl corporate) that each region has an exclusive distributor, and they make decisions on which parts like chain are or are not carried in their region.

Well, that sounds like what's goin on.

hi there this is my first post here!!

i have a couple of questions referring chains, i just been using mostly "GREEN" chains!!
i have a ms290 18" farm boss, i have used a 26rsc74 and liked it a lot!
but whats the difference between a 26rmc3 74 & 26rmc 74? i seen them labeled this way and can't figure it out!! whats also the difference between semi chisel and full chisel?i just looking for a good chain that will last more then 30 minutes!!

thanks for any help, Cliff!

hi there this is my first post here!!

i have a couple of questions referring chains, i just been using mostly "GREEN" chains!!
i have a ms290 18" farm boss, i have used a 26rsc74 and liked it a lot!
but whats the difference between a 26rmc3 74 & 26rmc 74? i seen them labeled this way and can't figure it out!! whats also the difference between semi chisel and full chisel?i just looking for a good chain that will last more then 30 minutes!!

thanks for any help, Cliff!

rmc3 has an additional guard next to the raker that is designed to reduce kickback. They are fairly large and thick and make lowering the rakers and shaping them a pain in the ass and reduce the performance of the chain significantly as the cutters get shorter and you struggle to lower the rakers. I find it to be way more restrictive than LPX and its raker guards.

semi chisel has a rounded attack or cutting corner, whereas chisel has an angular attack corner. Because semichisel is already rounded it doesn't dull as easily and still performs reasonably well when it encounters dirt. The second the square/angular attack corner of chisel becomes damaged there is a huge change in performance. Semi chisel does cut slower but not by too much. For firewood purposes, for those who dislike sharpening, and for wood that is dirty, downed, skidded, etc, it is a very good choice.

To say a bit more, RMC is semi chisel and RSC is chisel.

the 3 on either series RMC3/RSC3 applies to the additional raker guard.

If you liked RSC you like chisel which is fine, so long as you're ok with sharpening it more often you should buy it.

The 26 denotes .325 and I think 063 guage, the rmc or rsc denotes the series of chain, and the last number denotes the number of links.

Last edited:
mikefunaro:::

thanks..... that is very helpful information, i just bought 3rsc and 3rmc, off of Ebay. so i will give them a shot and see which one i like better, even if i can tell them apart using them... someone said to me that i should buy the Oregon brand just as good as Stihl and cheaper??
thanks for ur help!!

My advice is don't buy any Stihl chain that ends with a 3. You will regret it. I also will not buy any chain with the side by side depth gauges, if that is what they are. You will ruin the chain trying to grind them down equally.

For my needs, it's RSC. I'd buy RS if I could find it though.

If I dull one, I put on another. It's not unusual for me to touch up 3 or 4 of them at a time on my grinder. Most of the wood I cut has been downed, and it is a little tough to manage dirty wood, but there are ways to work with it. My favorite is to cut most of the way through the log with all of my cuts, then roll the log over and finish bucking it by cutting up from the bottom.

Back