Re-slabbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A piece of maple I cut today. Just a chunk of something I was using on a job for the past few years. Saved this piece, now I think I'll go back and get some more.

The tach works well like that. It's scarily slow but I know I am milling under 11500 now and that's what I need to know.

mapleslab002.jpg

mapleslab002.jpg

mapleslab006.jpg

mapleslab007.jpg

re slabing

when you are cutting Isn't the big chuck resting on the chain as you cut off the small slab on the botton Look's like it would be better if the small slab is taken off the top That way the weight of the wood wouldn't be resting on the chain as you are cutting Of course the bar and chain is on the botton I have cut timber but not done the slabing thing

What kind of tach did you get? I got a cheapie and it's refresh rate is extremely slow too. Seems to work though.

That is the second time I posted pics and the second pic came out the same as the first. I mean to post this pic
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/bdouglass_2006/mapleslab004.jpg?t=1169211952
It's the infamous $24 tach introduced by Casey Forest.

when you are cutting Isn't the big chuck resting on the chain as you cut off the small slab on the botton Look's like it would be better if the small slab is taken off the top That way the weight of the wood wouldn't be resting on the chain as you are cutting Of course the bar and chain is on the botton I have cut timber but not done the slabing thing

Good point but one reason I re-slabbed was, it wasn't slabbed very level the first time. I was trying to 1. reduce the size and 2. take the angle out. The top was smother also. I rarely use wedges while slabbing, sometimes on a soft wood or thin slice of something that has some lenght to it. When slabbing you are in the cut for a long time, you get used to sound of the saw. If something bogs it down you know it.
This piece came out a little messy because I stopped in the middle to take a pic and I watching the tach at the end. I got all the kinks out with a grinder and then the belt sander. I'll post some pics of the more worked piece later.

It's the infamous $24 tach introduced by Casey Forest.

I must have missed it when he put that up but I have the same one.

How does the tach hookup? Can it be used on things beside a chainsaw?

You wrap the end of the wire in the picture around the ignition lead. This one will work on any 2 stroke and there are similar models for 4 strokes.

Back