Re-thinking my saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So another suggestion to go for a pro 50cc as a stepped up "go to" saw. It seems that you are liking your 5100s, even as a "in the woods" saw. I've been reading many extolling the virtues of the 346xp to the detriment of all else. I like the 346xp but not at 50% more money as a current Dolmar 5105. How do you find your saw's handling in the woods?

I won't argue with the Husky heads that the 346xp is more nimble than my 5100 but I do feel that my 5100 is a good balance of power to weight and handling. Cutting on a big pile my 7300 rules as far as output goes but in the woods on medium sized trees cutting firewood I am more efficient with my 5100. Yes bigger saws are faster but when you are not only limbing but cutting the 3"-6" wood in stove length pieces I find that a small high output saw is better for me when I am stumbling through the brush IMHO. I am not going to make any claims on the 5100 or 5105 vs the 346xp or 261, other than the fact I have picked them up and held them at the dealer, I have no expirence with them. I think that all three are closer than anyone wants to admit and personal biasis come into play IMO.

Last edited:
I think that all three are closer than anyone wants to admit and personal biasis come into play IMO.

No question about this. From a logical, factual standpoint there is very little separating the three - the reason we tend to recommend one over another most often comes down to our own experiences and biases - good or bad.

Interesting that not many are championing keeping the MS361 but going with a more pro 50cc and if needs be jumping straight to the 70cc+ class of saws. From other posts I was under the impression that Stihl's 361 was somewhat akin to the holy grail and the cure for cancer. :wink2:

Interesting that not many are championing keeping the MS361 but going with a more pro 50cc and if needs be jumping straight to the 70cc+ class of saws. From other posts I was under the impression that Stihl's 361 was somewhat akin to the holy grail and the cure for cancer. :wink2:

tallguys, the 7900 has replaced the 361 as the golden child. If the government passed a law tomorrow declaring you could only own one chainsaw the 7900 would be my choice.

Well, remember, you didnt ask "what one saw should I keep" - you asked how to better set up your saw "plan" and any time a bunch of guys with CAD get together they will always steer you towards a plan that involves more saws!

Truth be told, you could probably do ALL of your work with one saw in the 60cc class - I know Ive done it myself for weeks at a time - but the reality is that a 50/70cc plan will make things a lot easier and a lot more fun...at least thats the story Ive tried to convince myself :)

tallguys, the 7900 has replaced the 361 as the golden child. If the government passed a law tomorrow declaring you could only own one chainsaw the 7900 would be my choice.

So its that good? Is that because of its power to weight or just the quality of Dolmar construction? Put it this way, I was playing with both saws the other day and my 510 just feels so much better constructed whereas the 361 is just missing that "tight" feeling about it. Can't put my finger on it. If I didn't have the Dolmar as reference, I'm sure it would feel great.

So its that good? Is that because of its power to weight or just the quality of Dolmar construction? Put it this way, I was playing with both saws the other day and my 510 just feels so much better constructed whereas the 361 is just missing that "tight" feeling about it. Can't put my finger on it. If I didn't have the Dolmar as reference, I'm sure it would feel great.

IMHO the reason the 7900 is the golden child is two-fold:

1) its a great saw.

2) its in a very special power/weight/price point.

Look at it this way: You have lots of other options in the low 70cc class - the 441, the 372, the 7300 - all are good and have their supporters. However, there is a big gap between low 70cc range and 90cc. There's just very little currently being made that falls into that category.

At 79cc the Dolmar is sort of alone in what it can deliver for the size. And this is magnified by the fact that very few of us actually need the difference between a 79cc saw and say, the 660 at 91cc. Most of the time (at least for most of us members on here) a 79cc dolmar will handle just about anything we could ever truly need. Now, add that to the fact its several hundred dollars cheaper than the 660 and close to a couple of pounds lighter, and its no surprise its one of the most popular saws to come along for a long time.

Thats not discounting its build - its a great saw and if i had to get rid of all but 2 of my saws, this would definitely be one of them left standing - but it does enjoy the luxury of limited competition at its price point and has an extremely appealing power to weight ratio.

...a 50/70cc plan will make things a lot easier and a lot more fun...at least thats the story Ive tried to convince myself :)

Convince myself... isn't that the truth! :msp_wink: I'm beginning to think that my original saw plan was perhaps the right one all along as I really cannot find fault with my PS-510. Sure it could be lighter but for those small jobs I've got the PS-340 and a few others. I haven't yet come across where I need a larger saw so its beginning to make sense to maybe wait for when I need one of those 6400/7300/7900 toys.

Though I don't really have a NEED for one right now, I find that I WANT one. Must be CAD. :msp_thumbup:

Convince myself... isn't that the truth! :msp_wink: I'm beginning to think that my original saw plan was perhaps the right one all along as I really cannot find fault with my PS-510. Sure it could be lighter but for those small jobs I've got the PS-340 and a few others. I haven't yet come across where I need a larger saw so its beginning to make sense to maybe wait for when I need one of those 6400/7300/7900 toys.

Though I don't really have a NEED for one right now, I find that I WANT one. Must be CAD. :msp_thumbup:

In all reality, most of us could get my just fine with a new Wild Thing every 2-5 years (you have to replace it when you wear it out)...but no way in hell are we ever going to admit it...at least not here unless you want to post in the "wanna start a fight" therad.

Really you don't need more than your 510. Its done everything you need without complaint. The 361 is just nice to have as a backup saw...you know...in case you get the 510 stuck in a tree that went the wrong way...or you bend the bar...or it gets dirty. And then you'll have a 7900 to back up the 361. Probably ought to get a 346XP or mabye a 562XP just to make sure you run somethng from each of the big 3.

Don't forget 3 bar lengths and 3 chains per bar length per saw...just in case.

I'm gonna need to build a shed.

I think that is the best way to go looking at the saws in your signature. Save up for a 7900.

In all reality, most of us could get my just fine with a new Wild Thing every 2-5 years (you have to replace it when you wear it out)...but no way in hell are we ever going to admit it....

Im not sure Id go that far. I actually did a whole seasons' work my first year with a little 33cc green poulan. My arms still shake thinking about all that vibration. Now, granted I do a LOT more wood now, but even then, it took me many many weeks to cut just a few cords. So could it be done? I suppose. I dont think you can argue it is a good use of time though. I mean I could probably do all my wood with an axe and a saw, but I do have other things i have to accomplish from day to day!

The other thing is that a new wild thing ever few years = a new 361 or 6400 in 10 years, so in the long run you're better off spending the money once & not buying new ones over and over.

I cut about 6-7 cords a year for close to 12 years with a $125 craftsman 42cc 18" saw...aka a Wild Thing. Its not ideal and it will take more time, but its realistically plenty of saw for making firewood for the average burner.

That said, I totally agree with CAD and supoort all that it makes us do.

... a new wild thing ever few years = a new 361 or 6400 in 10 years, so in the long run you're better off spending the money once...
I'm with you on that as I tend to go overboard but would rather be safe than sorry. Plus I'm kind of cheap and hate to throw away good money after bad. Better to buy something a little better the first time.

This has got to be the most respectful saw debate I have ever seen on here, and I mean that in a good way...
Some very good points up above. I like the two saw plan of having a 50cc class saw and a 70cc class saw. I also agree with the opinions on the 7900's, that is one of the very few saws out there that hardly anybody has a bad word to say about on this site, in fact I am hard pressed to find any that come to mind. My saw needs range from bucking logs to milling for my wood shop that is slowly changing to a saw shop, thanks CAD, so my two saw plan is a little skewed (I have many saws, but these are what I use most of the time). My 6400 in all reality can handle 90% of my cutting needs, even the milling before I got my baby, it has been a flawless saw for me so far and I bet I have cut close to 150-200 face cord with it in the last two years and I have milled a lot of board feet with it wearing a 28" bar and taking it slow. It is a heavier saw for the displacement but the reliability of it is what keeps me using it. My other saw of choice is my 9010 with a 28" bar on it but that is mostly for milling and cutting up the occasional 30" plus trunk that comes my way. I guess I am saying I like the 50cc and 70cc two saw plan, everybody should have about 30 saws hanging in the shop.

I like the 50cc and 70cc two saw plan, everybody should have about 30 saws hanging in the shop.
That would appear to be a perfect two saw plan... with a couple of smaller ones for trimming and limbing. Wish I had more space (and more money) as I do like your 30 saw suggestion. ;)

So I took somebody's advice and let go the MS361. Worked out pretty well because a week later I came across an ad for something a little bit more fun. This is my new toy.

basic answer. sale the 361 and just have good 50cc saw like he 260 or 346 for all your yard and firewood duties

basic answer. sale the 361 and just have good 50cc saw like he 260 or 346 for all your yard and firewood duties

I've come to the conclusion that a 260 or 346 won't do anything much mo0re than what my 510 does already.

I've come to the conclusion that a 260 or 346 won't do anything much mo0re than what my 510 does already.

That 510 is a great saw and will run with anything in its class, run it like you borrowed it from your BIL you will like it a lot.

this may sound a little off .but

........I think that to Rethink a saw plan ,Is in fact a Rethink of important equiptment . To me the question is how often do you think you would you use it and what limitations are you now held to that any of these machines , would enable you to exploit better... How many times in your regular ..Work..Play..Or just general interest, would you have to rent, one of these machines. Does anyone of these saws make you more versatile, can in a pinch you out shine the other guy. Does it make you safer. Does it give you a higher level confidence... Does it let you perform at a higher level of skill.. Any or all of these things are a good enough reason , Great tools will always highlite the skill of the man behind them... Just a thought......... .Maybe that soapbox was to high....................Thanks dave1

Last edited:
Back