Re-throwing While In The Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I'm a greenhorn then because I find my Bigshot to be very helpful on some takedowns. If there are leaders that can be snatched out I'll go ahead and shoot a rope across it towards the end, tie a running bowline and have ready to be pulled when I get to it on the trunk. I have had as many as 4 ropes pre-set when I get to the job with my groundman (or men.) Also like to have a top rope already set to help me up the tree. Not going to help you on every tree, of course. Not always room to snatch out forks but when there is this really helps me cut down on labor costs. Whats so dorkish about setting a top rope before you go up a tree?

To each their own.

Used to do a lot of fancy things with a throwline when I first started using them. These days I find it easier to just spike up the tree, cutting any sprouts/deadwood off with a handsaw, and eventually have a few pole sections tied on to advance my rope.. also to set main rigging line. Then go to work. Maybe I'm out of date or something.. it sure seems it sometimes.

I'm not saying I never use a throwline on a takedown, but that the above scenario is generally how it goes (so I guess I got some dork goin on too).

Andrew
that is what i was looking for. Thanks,
That foot sling shot is cool too, is that home made

Yep, I made the foot shot to solve the problem of making throws from one tree to another when you need a fairly flat trajectory to get the bag where you want it.

Throwing
5078770934_07d55ea760_z.jpg

Throwline's over the limb, sending a grapnel across to bring the bag back
5078182233_864b58b5d1_z.jpg

-Andrew

Last edited:
I have, It get's in the way hanging on my harness, always grabbing branches etc.
-Andrew
Clipped on the hip, it snags little in most trees. brushy trees yes it is a pita. but it does come in handy--attached is the Tree Machine reaching out to the right cut. Could you climb to make a handsaw cut there without breaking laterals?

Clipped on the hip, it snags little in most trees. brushy trees yes it is a pita. but it does come in handy--attached is the Tree Machine reaching out to the right cut. Could you climb to make a handsaw cut there without breaking laterals?

If you were a squirrel, yes!

Just to make sure we aren't confusing things, I'm not arguing against pole saws, just sayin' the telescoping extension hook tool doesn't work for my climbing style.
-Andrew

Latest posts

Back