Read about Klotz R-50.... anyone run BelRay H1R??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The R50 does have a fruity smell when in the bottle/jug. I mixed a gallon of 40:1 91 octane premium for my blower and weedwacker, but could not smell anything due to my nose cold. It was windy also, so that could have blown the exhaust away from me.

Bel-ray MC-1 is some good stuff...

BelRay has been around a LONG time. They have sold a superior product for as long as I can remember for the Motorcycle racing crowd.

Actually the older MC-1 doesn't burn as clean and if you mixed in the 38:1 range or more; it would leave a mess in your exhaust port & pipe. That was one of their origional products...I used it for a long time. (Racing 125's and 250's) When H1R came out I quickly realised it was a major improvement as you could mix more oil without the big mess from residue...instead of 46:1 as was best for me(cleanest w/ enough oil) with MC-1, 38:1 even 32:1 was practical with the H1R. So I've used BelRay before Mobil 1 MX2T was available..switched to the Mobil One because of the price difference; and now BACK to the H1R as Mobil quit selling their awesome 2-Stroke oil.

I now mix H1R 32:1 and ALL my two stokes, Motorcycles, Saws (Old and New), and Trimmers; do just fine with that mix.

Last edited:
Well.... I hit a couple different cycle shops today, and no one had the Klotz R-50. :( I needed more mix gas... SO - I mixed up 2 gallons of gas with some of the BelRay H1R - figured I would give it a whirl... BUT - I am gonna order some Klotz R-50, and run that from now on, as long as the smell doesn't give me a headache.....

I just can't take the smell of the Stihl Ultra - I ran the weedwacker for about 2 hours this morning, using up the last of my current mix, and by the end - I had a darn poundin head again!!

What does the Klotz really smell like!??

google Klotz.... I found a very good price...as in about $12-15 a quart.....didn't buy any as I still have many gallons of Racing 2T.....

I've also heard it is very good.

I buy it by the gallon (not sure if i can post the name of the Co.) for 39.99 a gallon. Cheapest place i've found.

Well.... I hit a couple different cycle shops today, and no one had the Klotz R-50. :( I needed more mix gas... SO - I mixed up 2 gallons of gas with some of the BelRay H1R - figured I would give it a whirl... BUT - I am gonna order some Klotz R-50, and run that from now on, as long as the smell doesn't give me a headache.....

I just can't take the smell of the Stihl Ultra - I ran the weedwacker for about 2 hours this morning, using up the last of my current mix, and by the end - I had a darn poundin head again!!

What does the Klotz really smell like!??

Its not the "smell", its the toxic substances that are givin you a head ache.....

I started racing motocross in 1985 until the early 90's then I started racing GNCC's and hare scrambles.I don't think there is a 2-stroke oil in the US I haven't used and experimented with.I've had bad luck with Bel-Ray 2 stroke oils,but I do like their fork fluid and gearbox oils.Klotz has always been a solid performer.Since 1995 I haven't used anything but Yamalube 2-R or the Klotz bean oil....However I have only ran them in my chainsaws on rare occasions.

If you have ever been to the races, dirt track , and watched the modifieds run, or even closer the mini sprints, that is what klotz smells like. To me anyway, just like a race car on alcohol !!!

Its not the "smell", its the toxic substances that are givin you a head ache.....

Well.... its something specific to the Stihl Ultra oil - whatever it is.... I ran about 3 tanks of my new BelRay mix, in my 359 in the last 2 days - and no sign of a headache whatsoever!! :clap: I'm definitely can't wait til my Klotz oil gets here, and give that stuff a whirl!! Thanks guys :cheers: I do believe I have an idea of what it smells like now tho

Latest posts

Back