reading the heat from vents

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschoff

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondering if anyone knows of a tool to read the heat from the vents in the house and where can I get one thanks michael

Hi everyone just wondering if anyone knows of a tool to read the heat from the vents in the house and where can I get one thanks michael

infrared thermometer. Search eBay, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. make sure you get the one rated to 968F (some are only rated to a much lower temp). With the high temp one you can use it more many more applications.

Ditto

infrared thermometer. Search eBay, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. make sure you get the one rated to 968F (some are only rated to a much lower temp). With the high temp one you can use it more many more applications.

Ditto,...The only way,... Infrared heat sensor,...Eric

Last edited:
Infrared thermometers work ok, but they sample a very wide area. If you look at most of them, for every inch you are away from the surface, they measure a square inch of surface for temperature. This may not seem significant until you realize that from 5' away, you are sampling a five square foot area. So much for the laser pointer.

Most HVAC guys use a probe type thermometer. They look like meat thermometers, but they have temperature graduations rather than mediunm, well, etc. If you have a met thermometer with actual temperature graduations, it will work just fine.

Its simple, just buy one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers and put the probe inside the vent a little way and it will display the air temp coming from the register on the "outside" display of your thermometer. Usually the probe has a 10' wire attached. Otherwise a wireless indoor/outdoor unit can be used if you put the outside sensor directly on top of the vent you want to read.

I use a Maverick BBQ Infrared Thermometer

reading_400.jpg

I use a meat thermometer that has a pointed probe about 5 inches long and goes from below freezing to about 300 F works great and you can buy them at the grocery store usually

Latest posts

Back