Ready for the cold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashhole

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Seems we're about to get our first real Arctic blast later this week. Temps in some middle US regions will have -30F as their high! And that's without wind chill. At the present they're forecasting single digit temps here in the Southern Tier of Upstate, NY but it's still too early to tell if we will get the really cold air. Just depends on how far the jet stream dips.

Been pretty mild here the past few days. Almost all the snow is melted. I have all the wood caddies filled and ready for the wife and even got to cut some more rounds for splitting late winter. I will be in AZ on business travel where temps are forecast for the high 70's. If I don't die of heat stroke I'll make it back just in time for the snow storm. With this bad weather forecast I think I should stock up on some beer. :clap:

Seems we're about to get our first real Arctic blast later this week. Temps in some middle US regions will have -30F as their high! And that's without wind chill. At the present they're forecasting single digit temps here in the Southern Tier of Upstate, NY but it's still too early to tell if we will get the really cold air. Just depends on how far the jet stream dips.

Been pretty mild here the past few days. Almost all the snow is melted. I have all the wood caddies filled and ready for the wife and even got to cut some more rounds for splitting late winter. I will be in AZ on business travel where temps are forecast for the high 70's. If I don't die of heat stroke I'll make it back just in time for the snow storm. With this bad weather forecast I think I should stock up on some beer. :clap:

Enjoy the beer but dont rely too much on the forecast. Our "winter storm" yielded 1/4":popcorn:

The snow is forecast for Friday/Saturday, the "disruptive" stuff moving in off the Pacific. Hopefully the jet stream wins the battle and pushes it to the south where it will be rain. We're generally right on the cusp of good/bad weather. The last couple of years we've been dodging the bullet. We're due for a bad storm.

Last edited:
Our forecasted high temp for tomorrow is -7. Yeah, it's comin' your way, but we will have worn the edges off of it so it won't be so bad for you guys out east. Enjoy! I sure do. Will not cut tomorrow unless I have to, but will be out Tuesday when the high is supposed to be 9. If you get cold while cutting wood, you aren't cutting wood!:msp_w00t:

Ted

The snow is forecast for Friday/Saturday, the "disruptive" stuff moving in off the Pacific. Hopefully the jet stream wins the battle and pushes it to the south where it will be rain. We're generally right of the cusp of good/bad weather. The last couple of years we've been dodging the bullet. We're due for a bad storm.

I have hoped for the big one for quite a few years. I like snow

Just finished bringing in wheel barrow load #4 to stack on the hearth, it's going to be a rough couple days with the cold and snow.

N here I thought winter was over! :msp_sad:

A couple three weeks back we had an ice storm, then last Friday we had our first snowstorm, They said we were to get 10" but all we received was 7 and 1/2 inches. It was kind of disappointing since I really was hoping for at least a 10". :msp_w00t:

On the bright side I got to put together the new snow thrower and do my 100 plus foot long GRAVEL driveway. :msp_scared:I really need to figure something to get it up above the gravel just a little, like a set of lawnmower wheels.

View attachment 274454

N here I thought winter was over! :msp_sad:

A couple three weeks back we had an ice storm, then last Friday we had our first snowstorm, They said we were to get 10" but all we received was 7 and 1/2 inches. It was kind of disappointing since I really was hoping for at least a 10". :msp_w00t:

On the bright side I got to put together the new snow thrower and do my 100 plus foot long GRAVEL driveway. :msp_scared:I really need to figure something to get it up above the gravel just a little, like a set of lawnmower wheels.

View attachment 274454

Set the blade of the blower on a couple pieces of 3/4 board or something then adjust the skid shoes down to the floor.

I think she does that on purpose!;) She likes to leave a guy guessing methinks.

Ted

I plead the 5th n that's my story n I'm stickin to it!
beerbang_zpsb248cfee.gif
:angel:

Here in S. Central WI / Stocked the enclosed front porch with a little over 1/3 cord of oak, and shag.

Yesterday afternoon almost 50deg grill'n chops on the deck and sipp'n a brew

Cold came in like a freight train last night 30-40mph winds blew crap all over.

Today 12deg feels like 1deg with the wind, brrrr. Sure glad I stocked up before it came in.

I brought a couple wheelbarrow loads of hedge in from the woodshed to go with the oak and walnut. I think we're good to go for the week.

I have a few cords of black locust and hedge stacked just for these types of days.

The wind is what's really punishing for us right now. It's 24 which isn't very cold, but the wind makes it feel pretty darn chilly.

Couple days ago I stacked quite a bit of the locust and hedge right next to the OWB. I fill it when I take the dogs outside real quick and then run back into the house.

Latest posts

Back