Ready for the cold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forecast for the Delmarva area is mid 20s to teens at night. Daytime temps are slated to be above freezing. No white stuff in the forecast yet but I know the SheWolf is gonna be burning more wood.

I've got some red oak I've been saving aside, left over from last year's stock. Figured it was just a matter of time. :)

I get a kick out of you guys/gals that separate the wood via species. I just burn whatever comes off the top of the pile. We're going through wood faster this year than the previous three years. Already burned about 2 cords and all I have is a sealed fireplace with a heat fan.

I get a kick out of you guys/gals that separate the wood via species. I just burn whatever comes off the top of the pile. We're going through wood faster this year than the previous three years. Already burned about 2 cords and all I have is a sealed fireplace with a heat fan.
LOL - if you knew you were burning hickory last year and cottonwood this year you would know *why* you're going through wood faster! It all has it's place - I just like to know what I need to burn based on the temperature. Of course last year I could have burned just cottonwood for the whole winter - all 10 days. :laugh:

Very windy here, very little snow, lights keep flickering, but haven't went out.
If I hadn't installed a stand by generator this past summer they would have gone out for sure.

I feel your pain with the generator. Ours is three years old and the only time it has been run is on the quarterly check runs. Before we bought it we lost power regularly. I should charge my neighbors a surcharge for buying it to keep their power on.

Wicked windy here all day. I loaded up the 4wheeler this morning and headed into the woods to cut/mess around but left in a hurry. Anything remotely dead was falling down today, kinda freaky out there. Had to settle for playin with a big chunk of dry 22" hard maple behind the garage, makes you think your chain is dull. Proceeded to hang out in the garage and 'organize' for the afternoon. Basically drink beer and whiskey whilst admiring all my toys. Even fired up the Harley just to here it roar. :rock:
Bring on the cold, its been too warm here last few years. I cut wood on friday, high was 4. I love it!

I feel your pain with the generator. Ours is three years old and the only time it has been run is on the quarterly check runs. Before we bought it we lost power regularly. I should charge my neighbors a surcharge for buying it to keep their power on.

Ain't that how it always goes, but I'm not complaining one bit, it's very expensive to generate your own power.

But it's a great feeling knowing I'm ready if the lights go out.

Woodchuck - Know what you mean about some of that hardwood. I cut up a 30' oak trunk yesterday about the same size as your maple. It was fighting back against freshly sharpened chains but I got it done. I have a huge maple to harvest before spring. It's over 40" wide.

Ain't that how it always goes, but I'm not complaining one bit, it's very expensive to generate your own power.

But it's a great feeling knowing I'm ready if the lights go out.

My Generac generator is 8Kw with surge capability to 10Kw. I wanted one to power the well pump (livestock needs water) and pressure tank, furnace electronics (I like hot showers), and one refrigerator (I like cold beer). Turns out it runs just about everything in the house except the electric range. Not too bad on gas either. If I had it to do over again I'd get a propane unit.

Did you fall down and bump your head? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

No I want a good old blast from the past week changing sno pacalypse!

Same here whatever I grab goes in the stove!

I have a few cords of black locust and hedge stacked just for these types of days.

The wind is what's really punishing for us right now. It's 24 which isn't very cold, but the wind makes it feel pretty darn chilly.

Couple days ago I stacked quite a bit of the locust and hedge right next to the OWB. I fill it when I take the dogs outside real quick and then run back into the house.

Talk about quick fail: Try waking up needing to 'drain the main vein" with it 10 degrees outside and a disabled wife in the bathroom!!! No matter how hard I try to hurry, Johnny doesn't cooperate.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back