Ready for the cold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see where the fairer sex might consider themselves disadvantaged in this area. :msp_biggrin:

Still, there is opportunity and there is opportunity. Glad I have 30+ acres and no neighbors.

I can see where the fairer sex might consider themselves disadvantaged in this area. :msp_biggrin:

Still, there is opportunity and there is opportunity. Glad I have 30+ acres and no neighbors.

So are you marking every tree?

Not every tree, there are too many of them. But on some I should just hang a sign.

Mens_zps518eab58.jpg

Last edited:
I brought a couple wheelbarrow loads of hedge in from the woodshed to go with the oak and walnut. I think we're good to go for the week.

Instead of your name being Mac 88 you should be Mr Hedge:msp_biggrin:Since I joined this site I realized you love that hedge wood.

Seems we're about to get our first real Arctic blast later this week. Temps in some middle US regions will have -30F as their high! And that's without wind chill. At the present they're forecasting single digit temps here in the Southern Tier of Upstate, NY but it's still too early to tell if we will get the really cold air. Just depends on how far the jet stream dips.

Been pretty mild here the past few days. Almost all the snow is melted. I have all the wood caddies filled and ready for the wife and even got to cut some more rounds for splitting late winter. I will be in AZ on business travel where temps are forecast for the high 70's. If I don't die of heat stroke I'll make it back just in time for the snow storm. With this bad weather forecast I think I should stock up on some beer. :clap:

I'm all set over here myself! Even though I cart most of my wood up to the deck and stage it there everything that I'm bringing up is either red oak, white oak, or black locust. All nice, heat throwing wood. Too bad I won't be home to enjoy it though! I work at Fedex and 90% of my day is spent out in the elements. At least the wifey and little guy will be warm. I guess I'll defrost when I finally get home :laugh:

It is -17 with a wind chill of -35 as I sit here typing this and drinking my coffee. Possibly getting up to -10 today with wind chills remaining in the -35 range.

You will still find me out cutting as long as the wind is not dangerous. Where I am cutting there are a lot of dead standing trees and widow makers. If it is too windy, those things are kinda unforgiving, so I wouldn't be out there in that situation. If not windy, burning the brush as I go gives me a nice fire to take a break by.

On the other hand, if this was my job, I would be one pissed off employee, having to work in these conditions! Go figure! :hmm3grin2orange:

Ted

Last edited:
I'm all set over here myself! Even though I cart most of my wood up to the deck and stage it there everything that I'm bringing up is either red oak, white oak, or black locust. All nice, heat throwing wood. Too bad I won't be home to enjoy it though! I work at Fedex and 90% of my day is spent out in the elements. At least the wifey and little guy will be warm. I guess I'll defrost when I finally get home :laugh:

I know how you feel my fellow PA wood burning friend. I too spend 95% of my time outside in the elements. Servicing and repairing Heavy Equipment for the local coal company. We predict A LOT of fuel filters to be changed the next few days. We cut our fuel in november, but without the idiot operators adding some anti-gel to the diesel, we will surely have problems in the next few days.

Also, As for you wood pile...im sure it looks like mine. My back porch has a load of cherry, petrified red oak, and Yellow Locust. Inside i have a pile of them all mixed together. A face cord to be exact. We are currently sitting at 15 Degree's outside, and sweating inside at 97 degree's. A few posts back i read someone say "why categorize your wood pile" Well, mainly because my furnace is HUGE and if i burn junk wood (Poplar) on a night like tonight or the week to come...we'd be chilly. lol When it gets "booger freezing" cold out, and the diesels wont start, and your nose plugs up with Icy Nose sicles, ya better know where the locust and hard woods are cuz your gonna need em! lol

184623_10151643182103222_1375031743_n.jpg

Back