Ready to Buy Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redpowerstroke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My buddy just bought a new Dolmar 5200 and I am impressed. I have been debating over a Dolmar 7900 for quite a while. After seeing his 5200 operate and with a dealer in this area, I'm pretty sure I will buy a 7900 over a Stihl 046. What do you guys think??

My buddy just bought a new Dolmar 5200 and I am impressed. I have been debating over a Dolmar 7900 for quite a while. After seeing his 5200 operate and with a dealer in this area, I'm pretty sure I will buy a 7900 over a Stihl 046. What do you guys think??

5200? Do you mean a 5100s?

7900 is a good saw. Best power to weight ratio out there. I want one, but no Dolmar dealers anywhere near here. Probably a better saw than a 460 and for less money (usually). I cannot say that I have run a 7900 myself though. Only a 460.

When do you intend to buy your 7900? It's a nice saw by the way, I assume you have a good Dolmar dealer locally?

Only time will tell if the 7900 has the same legs as a 460... Both saws will be history in a couple of years (epa), but there wll be 15 years of 046/460's around.

I've used a 460 a lot, and only a couple of time on a 7900. Yep 7900 is a nice saw, but the 460 feels more solid to me, but... I'm sure I'd biased.;)

If you have a local dealer for both saws, and want dealer support then toss a coin. If not, ask your dog.

I'm just very cautious as Stihl 460's go for much more and I am not sure the quality is there in Dolmar?????? If price has anything to do with it that is...

It's true.
I had the crazy notion of swapping our the 24" bar on my 575 an using it on the Dolmar, and getting a 20" bar off the net to put it back on my 575. With the Husky internet dealers gone, it kind of makes you look around and re-evaluate things. That Dolmar is a sexy cutting thinger.
:heart:

Not trying to stump for Amick's (site sponser), just pointing out that he has them on sale for $660 with 20" bar. If dealer support is not important.

Matt

I thought I read in a thread that the Dolmars can also use Husky bars. Any truth to this? If so I might just buy the Powerhead only now.

yup they are the same. A friend of mine makes bar adapters to run the Stihl bars on them.

Most dealers do not like selling Power heads only, because they are suppose to set it up and tune it with the bar and chain installed. You can't set a saw's rpm with no bar and chain.

I have been checking Amicks site out for a while, do they charge sales tax and such? Being an online dealer, it does make me curious. I bought 2 saws over the net now and have had no problems.

**update** After looking at their site link from the sponsor section I found out that they do not charge sales tax**

Last edited:
Back