Realistic range for h and l speed jets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudfly

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Question:

If the stock settings on a carb are 1 turn out each. What would you assume to be in the normal operating range for a stock saw?

I always thought you would want to be pretty close to the 1 turn on both screws and then maybe a 1/4 to a third turn in if needed and then maybe up to a full turn out but probably closer to 1/2 turn out max.

I recently got a saw that was 3 turns out on the low and 4 turns out on the high. Wouldn't run for anything. Out it back to factory as a start and ended up about a 1/4 turn out on both screws. It's not fully dialed in yet but close enough to not hurt it.

Waiting to see if it shows the signs of a vacuum leak because I can't figure out why it would be so rich otherwise.

Adding in. 1300 feet ASL and 30 F current conditions so fairly dense air.

Question:

If the stock settings on a carb are 1 turn out each. What would you assume to be in the normal operating range for a stock saw?

I always thought you would want to be pretty close to the 1 turn on both screws and then maybe a 1/4 to a third turn in if needed and then maybe up to a full turn out but probably closer to 1/2 turn out max.

I recently got a saw that was 3 turns out on the low and 4 turns out on the high. Wouldn't run for anything. Out it back to factory as a start and ended up about a 1/4 turn out on both screws. It's not fully dialed in yet but close enough to not hurt it.

Waiting to see if it shows the signs of a vacuum leak because I can't figure out why it would be so rich otherwise.
Probably someone who had no idea of what they were doing tried to tune it, and decided the saw would run poorly regardless of how it was tuned so it was junk and got rid of it.

Probably someone who had no idea of what they were doing tried to tune it, and decided the saw would run poorly regardless of how it was tuned so it was junk and got rid of it.
Well that's what I'm wondering. Should someone have their screw driver taken away, or are their situations that require that kind of adjustment?
Should probably figure out how to vac and pressure test it to ease my paranoia.

If the saw ran like crap at those settings, I’d say someone needs to have their screwdriver confiscated. If the saw “changes tunes” every time you start it I’d say you have an air leak somewhere, such as the fuel line, crank seals, etc...

Back