Really bad day for this OWB owner...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you went from 1/3 to 1/25 HP and see no loss in performance? If that's true, what it should be telling you is that you were over pumping your loop with the original pump, and that 1" PEX wasn't enough to keep the suction full, especially when the boiler overfired and the temperature approached boiling.

Increasing pressure increases boiling point, likewise decreasing pressure lowers boiling point. That is important because all of the outdoor boilers I am aware of are running open to atmosphere, which means that the boiling temperature of the water in them is 212F, as opposed to a pressurized system at 12psi, where the boiling temp is increased to 242F due to increased pressure. There are many pressurized systems running at 190 without cavitation, because the water isn't anywhere near boiling. When you run an open system near boiling, just the pressure drop caused by the pump's suction, coupled with the restriction caused by the suction piping, can drop the boiling point enough to make the water flash to steam at the pump inlet, causing cavitation and catastrophic failure. I don't know, but I suspect that's one reason so many outdoor boiler manufacturers mount their pumps directly to the boiler: it keeps the suction full and cuts way down on pump failure. That, and it's easy.

When you get ready to buy another pump, I'd recommend looking a little harder. There are HVAC supply houses in both Rockford and Dubuque as well as multiple sources on the net where you can purchase that same pump for about half what you gave for it from your "dealer."

Good luck.

First person I asked was an electrical contractor who installs the pumps every day. They suggested Menards as a source for a pump and didn't direct me to any of these supply houses (which i don't know about) I regret having to do it on a short notice but I feel like I got a good deal... I got the Taco pump for $114 and the cartridge for $62. The cartridge price is what really made it worth it, I looked online for awhile and didn't find one cheaper. Menards wants over 100 bucks for a cartridge. Dubuque Fireplace and Patio is where I got it.

I will try to remedy the stove air leak until I get a new gasket by dropping the temp at the stove and boosting the temp in the house when it gets warm during the day so the stove works less furance blower works more in the house.

ATM... I have to have the water temp 175ish hot so heat actually comes out of the ducts. 150 and below it won't keep up if its below freezing. Luckily, I will have a pretty nice in-floor setup going by next winter, so I will be able to drop the water temps way lower.

THANK you for the info on the cavitation!

Last edited:
Boogieman has a great idea! I used to work grocery store remodel jobs at night in big chain stores. One night at break I bought something to drink and munch on, and after break realized left my wallet at the check out. Security tape showed a woman pick it up and pocket it. Cops went to her her house and she denied it, until they said it was on tape. Got it all back, credit cards (which I had already cancelled), drivers license, and almost a hundred in cash. I had to drive three hours one way back to the police station where the job was, and I felt really stupid, cause the whole thing was my fault to begin with. The bank will have the transaction of your account, and the following one, which may not apply. But they should have a tape. You will need the time of day you were there. It was printed on my store receipt. Only security was allowed to view the video tape in my case and they turn it over to the police.

This might help you out I just finished doing this on my doors get some HI TEMP silicone wire brush your door gaskets to get them clean put about 1/4 " of the gunk on the old gasket where it touches the jam. Then apply some wax paper a strip to the gunk press lightly then close door for the nite in AM you should be all set don't try to remove paper until gunk hardens it wont hert to leave it on for a day or so. I didn't close door as hard as I could just what I thought was enough to seal it up enough and the next day closed it up tight. I got a tube of silicone at Grangers but I think i can be gotton anywhere just get Hi Temp. This worked for me really well.
Also if your boiler is not at pressure you need a brass and or SS pump. Taco discontued it's brass and only SS con be got of course more $$$$. Hope this helps you out worth a try working for me as I type Whitepine2

That's stinks! I believe I must have OCD cause I am always checking the doors are shut and just About everything else in life like door locks and garage door and things like that lol

Sandhill, that sounds sucky. I would have been really embarrassed. I was embarrased myself for my screw up... Live and learn I guess. They did find the peeps that took the money and I got my money back, too.

Whitepine, this is a good idea! I think I will try it. Good to know about the stainless or brass shaft. I didn't get a pump like that, but I am prett sure pressure drop cavitation did a number to the old pump. because it was so big. The whole system is below the water level in the stove so the pump hardly has to work at all, if I can keep the temp down, it should be fine but I have a backup plan and will switch to a metal shaft pump if the need arises.

Walkerdogman, well, what can I say. Grade A dummies like myself keep pump manufacturers in business. I do check the door three times now after the first mishap, but the second mishap is still a mystery. The door was shut... Shouldn't be that bad of an air leak, but who knows?

Dutch I too have my pump in the cellar, a lot nicer to work on under cover.Now 1" line is somewhat small for the run you have not the best. I had trouble with my pump and it is lower than boiler and 1 1/4" line. It would make noise and was cavitating.I had installed boiler drains to the system so I need to purge the system I close off the suction line and hook up a washer hose to the intake side of the pump in the system and turn on water via a garden hose and run it till all air is out of loop then all is well till next time filter is changed or whatever. Usually this works and is easy,I don't know why this happens but believe me it dozes and this solves the problem.
As for the door leaking if you see smoke cumming out when fan is on,well you know air is getting in when fan is off and if outside temp.is high and system is not calling temp in boiler will rise. I have a P&M gasser and noticed smoke (this gasser don't smoke) cumming out when fan was off,not good this caused gum up of unit within a week or so also noticed wood burning near door faster than usual the gunk on the door fixed this up real fine (sorry I call silicone,pipe dope gasket maker ect.gizzy gunk) hope this helps it seems like you have some of the same trouble I've had. Whitepine2

Guys, for what it's worth, try pexsupply.com for circulator pumps etc. Great prices. Just ran a second zone in my basement and bought everything from them for about half the cost of buying local and free shipping over $300! Search for coupons online too. They always have discounts you can use.

Back