reason 440's are the standard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were some tree guys next door a week or so ago. The had a 460. My 441 definitely outcut it. The 460 had a pretty bad 4-stroke burble sound and probably had a dull chain. I really didn't think I should be able to keep up.

Yes, but are we comparing a homeowner's 441 that has cut a couple cords of wood to a tree service's 460 that has seen a couple thousand hours of actual work?

Sorry to hear about the sad part of the world you are in.:cry: :cry: :cry: You and pete keep musky in bussiness over there with those tiny trees. We will keep Stihl #1, the standard:cheers: :cheers:

You have apparenly missed that the MS361 is my main saw for allmost everything, in mature trees - the others are mainly for fun, thinning, etc.....:monkey: :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
You have apparenly missed that the MS361 is my main saw for allmost everything, in mature trees - the others are mainly for fun, thinning, etc.....:monkey: :greenchainsaw:

I know the 361 is your favorite. You have just been beating them Stihl's too much lately. I had to give ya a swift kick in da butt:buttkick: :fart: :sword: :D

I know the 361 is your favorite. You have just been beating them Stihl's too much lately. I had to give ya a swift kick in da butt:buttkick: :fart: :sword: :D

:sword: :buttkick: :buttkick:
Every brand has some top-notch, some good and some indifferent (or worse) models - the problem with Stihl in the US are that the bestsellers mostly belong in the last category.:greenchainsaw:

:sword: :buttkick: :buttkick:
Every brand has some top-notch, some good and some indifferent (or worse) models - the problem with Stihl in the US are that the bestsellers mostly belong in the last category.:greenchainsaw:

Aight I'm done with you:spam::):dizzy:

Maybe Tom can show you the light later on today:clap:

The 044-440 was never really a big seller in my community which is mostly forestry town. When the 046-460 came out the loggers and fallers bought them and still buy them for the lighter jobs and the 066-660 are used for production falling. You don't find anything less than a 28" bar on a saw used by a contractor or people with saw experience.

I have used a 044 it was brandnew but that was quite a few years ago ya the saw is lighter than my 046. For the wood cutting I was doing the 46 was a better choice it bucks through the 36 to 40 inch doug fir and hemlock. If I got bigger wood to cut then I grab the 051 with 404 chain on it.

The 046-460 and 066-660 are set up for falling they are really not ordered any other way in the saw shops. Have full wrap handles and come with 28" bar for the 460 and 32 for the 660.

The other most popular small saw is the 260 I have one of those and they come standard with a 20 inch bar. The inbetween saws are sold to homeowners.

The 372 Husky which isn't as widely used here but when it is it too runs a 28 inch bar. I have bucked firewood with a 372XP and I will take my 046 Magnum with the same bar size and skip chain over the 372. The Husky bogs out if you lean into it. The 046 is a slightly bigger saw but it doesn't bog down like a 372.

No hardwoods here unless you want to call maple a hardwood. Mostly Fir, Hemlock and Cedar then the rat tree Alder.

I did get to go a few rounds with a brandnew 880 Stihl what a beast of brute power a little heavy for falling but a nice big wood bucking saw. I don't remember the bar size I think it was 36 it might have been longer. The person that ordered it was for bucking shake wood (cedar) so you need a big saw to get through the 48" and bigger cedar.

The shop has a 36 inch diameter test log it was what I was trying the saw on it makes a guy Grin.

440 is king around here...

Logging StihlHead pros around here prefer the 440, hands down. The local dealer here has Husky and Stihl, sells a lot more Stihls. Also owns only Stihls (ex-logger, was in the woods for 10 years). Anyway, he got 6 new 440s and one 441 when the 441 came out. He sold all those 440s, along with several shipments of 'last ones available' and the 441 was stihl sitting there on the rack last I was in there. He could sell all the 440s he could get. But no longer...

440... RIP. :cry:

Latest posts

Back