Reasons For Excessive Carbon Buildup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:rolleyes: Tell that to the Muffler Mod-ers as a disclaimer: "May cause catastrophic forest fires, death and destruction if used in work saws"
Well, unfortunately the muffler on this one has been gutted out, and there is NOT a screen on it. Where can I get a spark arrestor screen, and (2) bar shims (inner and outer) for this saw?

Here's an update. I found out the brand of 2 cycle oil that had been mixed, and ran in this engine for quite some time. It is = SynGard 2 Cycle Synthetic Blend ISO L-EGD, JASO FD Formula "With Fuel Stabilizer"/"Approved For Use With Ethanol Blended Fuels" (or so it says). This brand costs around 4 bucks for a 2.6 ounce bottle.

One of these 2.6 ounce bottles will create a 50:1 mix ratio per 1 gallon of fuel. He was mixing 2 of these bottles to 1 gallon of 93 Octane Pump Gasoline. Wouldn't that equal out to a 25:1 mix ? And if so, ain't that WAY too thick of a mix? Ok here is my plan =

(1) I think that I am going to try and find some of that Synthetic oil that Randy was speaking of BelRay H1R @ 32:1
(2) Find a pair of inner and outer bar shims (the original pair are gone) the seller said "you don't need but 1" Huuuhh??
( All of my old saws ran (2) shims, all of them, every brand, make and model.)
(3) Watch the carburetor tuning video's in the archives on this site, and get real edgekated on tune ups.
(4) Tune my 268 Husky, and fall in love with it.

Thank you again very much folks. :)

Thank you guys, I'll check both of them out. Do you have any idea where I can get those shims?

When switching to H1R it has required more carb adjust than any other oil i've used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When switching to H1R it has required more carb adjust than any other oil i've used.

Good grief, this fuel/oil mix scenario is givin' me a headache. Now I'm back to chasing my tail again LOL!

No don't chase your tail it just needs a little more on the high side is all

In troubleshooting you try not to change more than one thing at a time or you can't tell cause and effect. But it's not clear if there is even anything to troubleshoot here - you've got a couple of rather suspect compression readings, and a bit of carbon. It's not even known if there is anything wrong with the saw. If it were mine I would run it to see if there is anything wrong with it, and to evaluate how it is tuned.

You probably won't want to stay at 25:1 and when you change oil ratio you may need to re-tune.

In troubleshooting you try not to change more than one thing at a time or you can't tell cause and effect. But it's not clear if there is even anything to troubleshoot here - you've got a couple of rather suspect compression readings, and a bit of carbon. It's not even known if there is anything wrong with the saw. If it were mine I would run it to see if there is anything wrong with it, and to evaluate how it is tuned.

You probably won't want to stay at 25:1 and when you change oil ratio you may need to re-tune.
Agreed

That oil sounds good, anything JASO FD is as good as it gets, just try one bottle instead of two per gallon. And 4$ is too much for a little bottle, they are usually much closer to two bucks.

Is this 268 supposed to have an inner and an outer guide plate at the chain oiler end of the bar? Or does it supposed to have just an inner guide plate? I can only find (1) part number for it, and the number that I come up with is # 501814801 and that is the inner plate. But I called a parts clerk at a small engine shop, and he gave me another number, # 501444401 and he said this one was the outer guide. he said that it used two guides. I looked it up online, and that 401 number isn't shown for any of the 268 series saws. It's only listed for 61, 266, 298, 285, 162, 2100, and 2101 series saws. I can't find any information on an outer guide plate for 268 series units anywhere. I sure thought that they all had an inner and an outer. Do any of you know for sure, if its supposed to have two guides or not?

That oil sounds good, anything JASO FD is as good as it gets, just try one bottle instead of two per gallon. And 4$ is too much for a little bottle, they are usually much closer to two bucks.
Much obliged

Back