rebuild a 034 av?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry couldn't get the pics to load from my iPhone. Don't know if it's me or the super fast internet I got. Thanks for the manuals they are most needed

1. That's your tank vent. Check for cracks... it pulls right out of the tank.
2. The clutch must be turned CLOCKWISE to remove (to the right, opposite of most applications). Are you using a piston stop?
3. The flywheel is a bit tricky. You first have to remove a nut (regular threads), then either use a puller or a couple other techniques (hammer, punch, etc). I just ordered a puller but it is the wrong size... nuts!

Yep deff need the long torx. Really didn't want to just wack the crank to get the flywheel off, I'll see if I can make one of my pullers work. As far as a piston stop can I just use some old ski rope? Piston is pretty well shot so thought about a steel bar through the exhaust port. What do you guys think?

Which way to loosen the flywheel and clutch?

right and left hand.

Stihl flywheel tool is your friend.

Clean rope in the spark plug hole for a piston stop, don't hang it in a port.

OEM P/C is best, or good used 036 C with quality piston.

Not sure about comment on Teccomec P/C above, all I have seen are good as OEM. My 038M kits were beautiful. Not sure if pics I posted are still here after the hacking.........

Get non-pro 036 C so no comp release to deal with

How about some pics for the problematic Teccomec kit?

I have a snap on t-handle for t-27 , no problems ever

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation. I've got 2 034's here that i got cheap. Got one running pretty good, replaced all the lines, and oil pump worm. I'm giving that one to a buddy of mine. The other one needs a new p/c and a few other things (brake handle, muffler, lines) and I'm keeping it for myself.

Would be greatly appreciated if someone could send me a copy of the manual as well. Thanks.

I used the one I fixed up for a bit, and really like it. I've got a 362, a ms170, and a poulan 45cc(first saw, now a loaner/stump/buddy saw), so the 034 will slot in there nicely as a backup/buddy saw.

Latest posts

Back