Rebuilding my Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawpaw5656

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently was given an 026 less bar and chain-seemed to be locked up but finally got it free with some wd40 and coaxing-it was not seized. After I tore it down found the piston and rings will need replaced but also the cylinder has a little scoring above and below the intake port. I’m wondering if I should replace the cylinder also or would it be ok? Also good aftermarket kit recommendations or which to avoid?? Bottom end seems ok but is there anything I should check to see if anything down there needs replaced? All your advice is appreciated! BLESSINGS!!

There is so much good used parts around for the 026`s that I would not consider using an aftermarket P&C on these saws. Many 026`s have been converted from 44 mm up to the 44.7 mm sets that there are lots of good used 44mm sets setting on shelves.

Cimage.jpeg
I recently was given an 026 less bar and chain-seemed to be locked up but finally got it free with some wd40 and coaxing-it was not seized. After I tore it down found the piston and rings will need replaced but also the cylinder has a little scoring above and below the intake port. I’m wondering if I should replace the cylinder also or would it be ok? Also good aftermarket kit recommendations or which to avoid?? Bottom end seems ok but is there anything I should check to see if anything down there needs replaced? All your advice is appreciated! BLESSINGS!!
image.jpegimage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I can put up crown molding, I run a Woodmizer sawmill, I can build a house from the ground up, you'd think I'd know how to post pics correctly !!! OMG. The first big pic inside the jug is of the "scoring"

I can put up crown molding, I run a Woodmizer sawmill, I can build a house from the ground up, you'd think I'd know how to post pics correctly !!! OMG. The first big pic inside the jug is of the "scoring"

PC or a Mac? We can help........

Click on upload a file. Choose the file from your computer. You can display as a full image or thumbnail....

I actually took some 240 grit wet dry Emory paper and cleaned it up a little. Should I use a cylinder hone to finish cleaning it up?? I really love these stihl saws. I've got a stihl 041 farmboss that I bought in the late 70s ( no AV system) It has cut mountains of wood and though it is in need of a few parts right now, is stihl running strong!

I looked up a ball hone and no I don't have one but can get one . Should I use some kind of compound or oil or water or anything when I hone it?

I looked up a ball hone and no I don't have one but can get one . Should I use some kind of compound or oil or water or anything when I hone it?
The three arm hones will often get caught in the ports and break, the ball hone can be used carefully, slow speed and only 10 to 12 revolutions to just clean off the glaze, they can and do tear the plating off the edges of the ports. Use kerosene or diesel fuel as a cutting compound.

I still use muriatic acid to get off the aluminum transfer (don't put it anywhere besides in the plating use a Q-tip), then hand sand with wet/dry paper and detergent solution. 240 only to start with then finer grades as it cleans up

Back