rebuilding stihl 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodlewalker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought an old stihl 041 super electric quickstop (whatever that means) to use in a chainsaw mill attachment. my problem is the ignition module, rather in finding a new one..... I came across one on ebay that says it is a replacement, I don't understand how they work, so I am wondering if it is actually something I can just install in place of the original, or if the flywheel needs to be replaced with it. the first is the original, second is the one that says it is a replacement... will there be timing issues??? im lost and need advice from anyone with some experience on the matter!!!

I don't know anything about 041s. But I think you can leave the f-wheel as is. But when install the ign mod, you have to set the gap between the module and fly wheel.

On most things you can use a business card.

1. fit the module as far in the adjustment as possible AWAY from the flywheel, tighten it's mounting screws.
2. rotate the wheel so that the magnet with the raised lump is adjacent to the module.
3. put a business card in the gap
4. loosen the mountings screws and the magnetic pull of attraction will set the gap.
5. tighten the screws.

6. start up and enjoy your new saw!

hope this helps

Matt

The coil should be plug and play....hopefully. There is no setting the gap on this model as the coil is inside the flywheel. Bolt it down with some loctite and put the flywheel on.

As I was researching this part before I bought it it appeared to me that the flywheel that comes with a brand new similar part is the exact same flywheel that I have so I bought a part on eBay hoping that it would match my existing flywheel. If I do need to change my flywheel how do I know what flywheel to buy as the one that I bought doesn't have a Flywheel with it. Thanks for taking the interest guys I sure appreciate the advice

As I was researching this part before I bought it it appeared to me that the flywheel that comes with a brand new similar part is the exact same flywheel that I have so I bought a part on eBay hoping that it would match my existing flywheel. If I do need to change my flywheel how do I know what flywheel to buy as the one that I bought doesn't have a Flywheel with it. Thanks for taking the interest guys I sure appreciate the advice

Ok...

Go to the last entry on this thread, that I have linked right here below:

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-beg-for-manuals-thread.68615

Write a reply as follows "Can someone send me the ipl and service manual for stihl 041 please?". Someone soon will. Then all the information will be at your fingertips! :)

alright. I went to the link and did get a fast response with a wealth of information that I desperately needed. thank you all for the posts and the help! I believe I actually have what I need to get the ol girl slingin wood!! I am super excited I will post pics of the catalpa slabs she will produce!!

Your original is electronic and the pictured replacement is points

If u go points the flywheel must be changed also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good eye.
There's an error trying to click on the pics so the only thing I can see are two blurry thumbnails that look very similar.

Back