rec gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbormonkey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for advice.
Right now all of my climbing gear is for work climb. So steel core flipline, arbormaster climbline, etc. All good and comfortable, and familliar but I was thinking about buying a rec climbing setup.
For those of you who are in the know, what are your recomendation? I was thinking of Velocity line, but what saddle? Has anyone tried the Tengu from New Tribe? Also, a bit premature, but I would like to get my son a childrens saddle in a few years, any advice on that?
Appreciate the help!
AM

Looking for advice.
Right now all of my climbing gear is for work climb. So steel core flipline, arbormaster climbline, etc. All good and comfortable, and familliar but I was thinking about buying a rec climbing setup.
For those of you who are in the know, what are your recomendation? I was thinking of Velocity line, but what saddle? Has anyone tried the Tengu from New Tribe? Also, a bit premature, but I would like to get my son a childrens saddle in a few years, any advice on that?
Appreciate the help!
AM

I think you'd like the Tengu but it will seem strange at first depending on what you're climbing on now. The leg straps aren't intended to be tight on your legs, totally different kind of design and fit. It's light weight and comfortable for messing around in a tree. You might even like the NT Basic, go minimal, no side D's (don't need them, put a non-steel core lanyard on the center anchor delta). It's a less expensive way to check out an NT harness and it compresses small so you can stuff it into a day pack with a short rope for the tree equivalent of bouldering. You can also make a long ascent in the Basic and still be comfortable.

I've put plenty of young'ns in trees with the NT kids harness, fits a wide range of age and different size kids, works very well for them.

147264283_9ce3b2b687.jpg

-moss

Last edited:
Awesome!
I currently sport a B'ham versatille Deluxe. For a rec climb I would probably use a 1/2" rope flipline anyway.

just purchased the tengu saddle by new tribe. LOVE it!
very comfortable, light weight with support of a work saddle.

be sure and order direct from new tribe. give em your measurements and they will custom fit up saddle for you.

don't think they will customize tengu, but new tribe will customize their work saddle with what ever extra loops, clips, etc you would like added.

very nice folks to work with.

note size of leg supports.. really like the fabric side D's.

tengu%20front.gif

Last edited:
Looking for advice.
Appreciate the help!
AM

to be honest you dont need anything different from your work kit. maybe a rope flip, bout it.

i dont think you should or need to spend money on a rec saddle. if you really do feel the need for another saddle get a work saddle that way if anything happens to your go to saddle you have another one ready to go.

i rec climb in the same kit i work in, minus saws.

has anyone tried out new tribe's boat hammock?

my old super stiff buckhm saddle sure is uncomfortable...
can't imagine sleeping on that :blob2:

Last edited:
to be honest you dont need anything different from your work kit. maybe a rope flip, bout it.

i dont think you should or need to spend money on a rec saddle. if you really do feel the need for another saddle get a work saddle that way if anything happens to your go to saddle you have another one ready to go.

i rec climb in the same kit i work in, minus saws.

Oldirty,
Are you using a two in one flip or single?

Oldirty,
Are you using a two in one flip or single?

my steelcore is on my saddle all day, if i think i need something extra the rope flip gets added on. so yes 2 singles.

i bought a 2n1 and ended up hating it. its in the bottom of my rigging bag now.

has anyone tried out new tribe's boat hammock?

Moss has a tree boat and has set it up on several rec climbs. It is awesome for a short rest/nap (stay tied in!). In my opinion, the drawback to a hammock for an overnight rest is that it's difficult to sleep on your side, which I like to do. I'd like to try a port-a-ledge; rock climbers use them on multiday ascents. It's a flat platform with an aluminum frame.

I think Tom Dunlap mentioned here that some folks have been known to rig a chaise (sp.?) lounge type lawn chair (the long kind that you can stretch out on) up in a tree for an overnighter!

Last edited:
Back