Recoil problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTM

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got the ms 660 out today to cut some cookies off a stump. Starting ritual normal except it died as soon as it fired (second pull on fast idle). Okaaaay, never had that happen. Didn't sound like the motor seized. It just spun down like I flipped the switch. Go to pull again and the cord won't budge. Removed the cover and pulled the plug. Stuck my finger on the flywheel, rotated it, and piston moved freely. Then I pulled on the cord and easy movement. No feeling of any binding. Put everything back together and made my cuts. Is there something I should be looking for here so it doesn't happen again?

Hard to say for sure. Pull the recoil and check the pawls/spring. Usually when they fail everything goes.
I've had an 036 lock the cord up, an 064 not engage the pawls, and an AM 440 eat everything.

Ok. Someone has got to have some insight here.

Yes I definitely have some insight.

I was talking to Confucius
And Confucius say:

Get off lazy bum & buy Husqvarna.

Don't shoot the messenger.

No sign of damage on the fins anywhere? No bolts out?
A split in the spool? You will have too spread it with your fingers to tell. Inspect everything. Pull starter all apart if it's not obvious. Check out clutch side too. Did it idle normal.
I'm sure you can figure it out.

I really didn't know if Confucius was into Husqvarna or Stihl so it wasn't me being bias in any way.
He did have this to say about AM though.
Confucius say:
He who buy three for the price of one will soon need three and the price of one.

He is so clever.

Th
Yes I definitely have some insight.

I was talking to Confucius
And Confucius say:

Get off lazy bum & buy Husqvarna.

Don't shoot the messenger.

No sign of damage on the fins anywhere? No bolts out?
A split in the spool? You will have too spread it with your fingers to tell. Inspect everything. Pull starter all apart if it's not obvious. Check out clutch side too. Did it idle normal.
I'm sure you can figure it out.
Thank you my friend. I made five cuts on a 26" by 40" stump to make some tables. I shut down and started a bunch of times and ran flawless. I'll get off my lazy butt and pull the recoil cover off tonight.

Back