Recommendations on Husky 365 special

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTP

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Since the "search" is cooked, anyone have any links on Husky muffler mods for a 365 special-need some ideas on tube or 288 baffle/deflector?

Also I have been considering a mild upgrade path, I am unable to find links/threads on the proper way and side of the flywheel key to grind to advance ignition timing slightly. In theory we are advancing the ignition timing right so we are moving the flywheel slightly forward in the direction of rotation correct?

Use Google for your search.

"Muffler arboristsite" will get you many results and almost all will be on this site.

I wouldn't mess with ignition timing for a starter mod. You will need port work to take advantage of the ignition advance.

You will be well pleased with just a muffler mod and readjustment of the mixtures

I've got a 365 special as well and am pushing forward with the muffler mod. 503078301 exhaust deflector off a 288 is what I have. It doesn't fit in the back half of the muffler as it contacts the case and it's a little long for the front of the muffler because the muffler curves inward. I'm going to take a better look when I get the muffler off the machine.

Just take a small hammer and mold the deflector to the front half of the muffler. It will fit with the top hole on the curve. Here's a picture of one on a 372.

006-2.jpg

Bailey's has a slightly smaller Husky deflector HVP 503 58 99

Just take a small hammer and mold the deflector to the front half of the muffler. It will fit with the top hole on the curve. Here's a picture of one on a 372.

006-2.jpg

Excellent ...what size hole are you putting under that deflector. Should I drill a bunch of 3/8"holes or just go to the edges of the deflector?

I wouldn't mess with ignition timing for a starter mod. You will need port work to take advantage of the ignition advance.

ok i will go with the muff mod for now then. can you give me the "theory" on timing advance. I may want to try it on some smaller beater saws with experiemental port work, I have to start somewhere.

For timing advance am I grinding the flywheel key to be able to advance the flywheel slightly clockwise (direction of rotation) a few degrees?

What kind of clock do you have that turns that direction? Maybe you have a reverse direction chainsaw.
Anyway to actually help you a little. Grind off about about half the key but only the part that sticks up above the crankshaft. It does not matter which side because you can just put it in 180 degrees opposite if you get it wrong. After you install it and tighten the nut, take it off again and look down the slot with a strong light to make sure it is advanced. BTW Husky used to sell a key that was offset and was no muss no fuss. Fish may know the part number. Yes it does help and yes you advance the flywheel in the direction of rotation. Negative is it may kick back some when lean so pull that starter like you mean it. Mike

What kind of clock do you have that turns that direction? Maybe you have a reverse direction chainsaw.
Anyway to actually help you a little. Grind off about about half the key but only the part that sticks up above the crankshaft. It does not matter which side because you can just put it in 180 degrees opposite if you get it wrong. After you install it and tighten the nut, take it off again and look down the slot with a strong light to make sure it is advanced. BTW Husky used to sell a key that was offset and was no muss no fuss. Fish may know the part number. Yes it does help and yes you advance the flywheel in the direction of rotation. Negative is it may kick back some when lean so pull that starter like you mean it. Mike

Thanks Mike I was tired last night on my rotation explanation.

Back