Husky 365 Special

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gomlin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I obtained a Husky 365 Special in a trade. It doesn't fire with fuel splashed in the cylinder and seems like compression may be low since I had no difficulty pulling it without the decompression on. I saw a YouTube video where a 365 was upgraded with a 372xp jug. What is reasonable value as a parts saw and what could be expected as a cost for the 372xp conversion? Is the 372xp conversion saw worth the effort? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

For 59.00 there is a complete used oem 372xp topend on ebay if i didn't have two i would buy it lol

I've run some good 365s as well couldn't tell the difference.

20170117_154526_zps62kjf8ir.jpg

20170117_154001_zps9uliukom.jpg

20170117_153952_zpsptszpg7w.jpg

20170117_154015_zpstnuw4ovo.jpg

Was missing the air cleaner cover when I received it. Haven't decided whether to do the conversion or just sell it as a parts saw.

Personally, I would check for spark and tighten up the spark plug and make sure the decomp is out before throwing money at it.

I bought one of these locally (off craigslist) a few months ago. It was running but had a lightly scored piston w/ minimal transfer to the cyl. Paid $275. Fresh meteor piston and a trip to mdavlee and it's now an absolute animal. :)
Pull the muffler and show us a pic of the piston.

Pics of the piston through the exhaust port. Looks scuffed but not grooved to me. First pic is piston at the ring, second pic is the middle of the piston and the last one is the top of the piston and cylinder wall on the backside. What are your thoughts?
20170120_144016_zpslv8hx0ly.jpg

20170120_143831_zpsmqgxqnfd.jpg

20170120_143701_zps0clgqk8p.jpg

I'd say it needs a rebuild, compression test would help confirm that. Just slapping a 372 top end without doing a pressure/vac test could just ruin your new parts. If it needs a new top end I would put the 372 top end on and enjoy. What's a reasonable offer for that saw? It's going to vary from person to person. $150-200 shipped PHO without seeing more.

I obtained a Husky 365 Special in a trade. It doesn't fire with fuel splashed in the cylinder and seems like compression may be low since I had no difficulty pulling it without the decompression on. I saw a YouTube video where a 365 was upgraded with a 372xp jug. What is reasonable value as a parts saw and what could be expected as a cost for the 372xp conversion? Is the 372xp conversion saw worth the effort? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Usually there is a reason the top end got roasted, could be anything from bad fuel mix to leaking seals, intake boot, fuel line etc. A bunch of other things as well. Its worth taking that saw and rebuilding it from the cases up. Really not that hard if the tools are available. Its worth splitting the cases and putting in bearings and seals along with replacing all the rubber fuel/intake related parts. You might be able to salvage the cylinder. But to be honest, with the current price of a new OEM Husqvarna 372 OE top end's, it simply doesn't make sense to do anything but just get a entire OEM 372 top end and drop it on those cases (with new seals and bearings), top it off with a new intake boot, fuel line, pulse line and carb kit etc.....for around $200-$250 for the parts plus your time assuming you have the tools and thats a damn nice saw and have a high probability of solving the issue that hurt that saw. A reputable dealer can sell you a top end. Also have to say it makes no sense to drop on an After market top end either as the price difference is within $50 bucks for the better AM top ends & OEM.

I'd pay $200 for one seeing it like yours, in person, and determining the cylinder was going to clean up ok.

if indeed the cylinder would clean up, that offer may be valid. over the net, its a gamble, and even if the 48mm cylinder would clean up, better to upgrade to the 50mm (or even the 51.4) while you are in there. my opinion. I've done enough of these to know its a pile of time and effort to get them back up and running proper.

Back