Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While cleaning up and straightening up my shop after the hot water heater flood I found this J-Hook. It is the one I hit while chainsaw milling the big ash in my avatar. It's 3/8" in diameter... Thinking it was a knot and using paracord on my winch I let the paracord keep pulling the saw. Oops... took a bunch of teeth off a $50+ ripping chain!

IMG_6754.gif

Oy

Starter went out on my suburban. No warning signs before today. Was a little bit sluggish this morning then started fine when I left work to go to my sons track meet. Wouldn’t start at the gas station by the school and then we got it going by hitting it with a hammer with another person turning the key.

Stupid ass engineers on these new vehicles… I think they should be forced to assemble and disassemble the product they create so they can see how assbackwards everything is designed. A 15 minute job quickly turns into two hours by the time you have to gyrate the starter around and stand on your ear to get the thing twisted through all of the crap in the way. I’m sure if you did this every day it would go a lot faster, but this is not something I do very frequently.

Worked on motors a little bit too. Two of the outboards I acquired yesterday both need carb work.

Oy

Starter went out on my suburban. No warning signs before today. Was a little bit sluggish this morning then started fine when I left work to go to my sons track meet. Wouldn’t start at the gas station by the school and then we got it going by hitting it with a hammer with another person turning the key.

Stupid ass engineers on these new vehicles… I think they should be forced to assemble and disassemble the product they create so they can see how assbackwards everything is designed. A 15 minute job quickly turns into two hours by the time you have to gyrate the starter around and stand on your ear to get the thing twisted through all of the crap in the way. I’m sure if you did this every day it would go a lot faster, but this is not something I do very frequently.

Worked on motors a little bit too. Two of the outboards I acquired yesterday both need carb work.
Maybe you were suppose to disassemble the starter, and put it on in pieces? Sorry, I guess that didn't help:crazy2:.

Edit: Sorry Steve, didn't mean to be flippant about your woes. Been there, done that. A half hour job turns into hours. Never have the right tool etc.

With the weather turning hotter amd living near Mt Gretna traffic had exploded on Mt Wilson rd. Township doesn't care, state doesn't care cops wont do anything. Hard enough to pull out from the lane so as it is without the hammer heads going 70mph in a 40 mph zone. Can't tell you how many close calls we've had from people flying around the turn and you can't see them till your 3/4 the way out in traffic.
Put out some firewood as speed bumps.

Notice anything odd about these guns that were surrendered in a gun buy back recently?

View attachment 1179253
No friggin way did these guns get turned in at a buy back. Gun owners are not this stupid. These guns had to be staged for political purposes.

On a good note I sold off my Husqvarna 440 and 254XP in two days for my asking price. Yesterday I landed one of these tool boxes like new for $400. The guy recently bought it for work. Then he lost his job and had no place to keep it. He was storing it in his mini van. His wife said get rid of it. It is a good color match for my Husqvarna saws.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240523_192532_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_192532_Chrome.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 0
Put out some firewood as speed bumps.
Thats would be a waste of good fire wood. Nails would be more like it. I just can't wait till Greta has the bike -a- thons and art stuff 🤢🤮. They try blocking off access to my house and I usually have to fight with the self entitled idiot that they can't keep my from going to my house no matter what stupidity is going on, on the other side of the mountain.

Maybe you were suppose to disassemble the starter, and put it on in pieces? Sorry, I guess that didn't help:crazy2:.

Edit: Sorry Steve, didn't mean to be flippant about your woes. Been there, done that. A half hour job turns into hours. Never have the right tool etc.
All good my friend.

I was looking at that ****** afterwards and thinking to myself if I had dropped the swaybar this would have been done in 5 more minutes.

Then the heat shield (which is more or less snapped to the solenoid) had to be unclipped to get it off too. Probably fought it for ten minutes more till I got a flashlight to notice that.

I am pretty good mechanically but I get mad at stupidly designed stuff so that gets frustrating. At least it was a nice day and I had a nice clean slab to work on. I have done this laying in puddles before in emergency. Not as fun lol.

SVK, with a lift and guys that do it everyday it’s still a half hour job

So on your back and not being “in the know” 2hrs isn’t too shabby

Be careful of the crank sensor when you are in there, seen many a private shop break it when doing that job
I could see if someone got jerky with the freed up starter that could be easy to do!

All good my friend.

I was looking at that ****** afterwards and thinking to myself if I had dropped the swaybar this would have been done in 5 more minutes.

Then the heat shield (which is more or less snapped to the solenoid) had to be unclipped to get it off too. Probably fought it for ten minutes more till I got a flashlight to notice that.

I am pretty good mechanically but I get mad at stupidly designed stuff so that gets frustrating. At least it was a nice day and I had a nice clean slab to work on. I have done this laying in puddles before in emergency. Not as fun lol.
My long time speculation is that many things on vehicles are designed for manufacturing and not maintenance. We've all probably experienced or heard stories which involved the need for significant disassembly to get at "the problem." My earliest car maintenance involved cars where you could pretty much climb in the engine compartment and reach things. I recall sitting on the inner fender of one to work on the rear mounted distributer. My experience changed with a '73 Plymouth Fury with a 400 CID... By rights you needed a lift to change some of the spark plugs and had to squeeze your hands in from the top to get at others. Even for an agile kid it was a huge hassle! This was not an issue in manufacturing... the engine was not in the car when the plugs were installed!

Missed Opportunity

Found a 2 hour old CL ad last night (while raining) for free Hickory. Emailed them and said I'd be there by 8A. Didn't want to go too early. Emailed this morning at 7:30A to make sure it was still there. Told' Yes'. I get there and some SOB is guarding it said he's a neighbor and a friend of his son had already taken a load and was coming back for the rest. PI$$Ed me off.
Should never reply to curb alerts I guess.

Sorry for the rant.
I meant to post a picture of the original ad:
Hickory.png

When I emailed the guy after my trip over there, he said "Well I told you there was a large log in the back. And I have a lot of Red Oak there too you can have". Needless to say, I didn't reply.

Today, here's and ad for that log cut up into random lengths:
Hickoryy2.png

I guess the guy wanted me to haul it out in wheel barrows. My hats off to @HRanch for being able to do it that way, but that's not for me.
Oh and @Cowboy254, another one of my pet peeves (so mark it down) is free wood that's cut up into short random lengths. Hard to stack 12" splits.

In addition to the aforementioned charge handles missing, I find it ironic that there would only be a pile of like new AR's at a gun buyback. Staged no doubt.
Probably all 3-D printed.
Staged beyond a shadow of a doubt. Nobody would spend the extra hassle and 200 bucks a pop to register SBR's only to turn them in.
Just a min ago you could "register" them for freeeeee.
The biggest problem with that pile of rifles is they don't have wood stocks.
That's what makes them so dangerous, hence why they need to be off the streets! ;).

I started out using the Dolmar 5105, but it was outmatched by the larger logs.
20" "blade" goes a long way... didn't see anything in that pile all that big. Remember, you're talking to your chainsaw pals here, not your wife, no need to justify the purchase :innocent:.

Long day mowing at the tree farm today,

Resized-20240523-151657-S.jpg

There's also LOTS of fields to mow,

Resized-20240523-174344-S.jpg

LOTS more work there to do too, but that will be for another time.

SR
Is that then new ride Rob.
Sure looks nice up there.

Latest posts

Back