Recommendations on licensing and insurance in VA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verticaltrx

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I would like to add tree removals to the list of services provided by my new business (barns/fencing/farm improvements). I will be a licensed building contractor and will carry liability insurance for those jobs, but I am wondering what additional licensing/certification/insurance would be needed to perform basic tree removal jobs in Virginia.

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunatly in Virginia you do not need a license or certification to perform tree work. You need a business license for each county/city you work in to perform business but nothing specific for tree work. You will also need a state license for contractors if you plan on taking contracts larger than 1K. Class C with no written test, application and fee only, covers you up to 7,500contracts. Larger than that you must get bonded and take test. As for insurance if you perform tree removal you will need to get covered for tree work and not landscaping or general contracting. Hope this helps.

Back